From: ···@sef-pmax.slisp.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: The Igor Project
    From: ····@kimbark.uchicago.edu (Marshall Abrams)

    What platforms will Igor run on (A) initially, (B) eventually
    (maybe)?

Initially it will run on those platforms where CMU CL currently runs (minus
the old IBM RT):

Sparc under SunOS (but not Solaris for now)

MIPS-based Decstations under Mach (only, since DEC abandoned OSF for this
architecture)

.. and, real soon now, the HP 700 series, under HP-UX.

After that, it depends to some extent on the interests of our industrial
consortium partners.  One of the things they will get is some influence
over what architectures we port to.  DEC Alpha under OSF and SGI under Irix
are likely candidates, as is the Intel architecture under Windows NT.
We'll have to see how the PowerPC world shakes out.

    Any wild guesses as to how much RAM Igor will require on given
    platforms?

I don't want to pick a number, but the Igor development environment will be
big, since it will contain a lot of code and large libraries of good stuff.

Note that we will be able to produce delivery modules for machines on which
the Igor environment itself doesn't run.  We just have to produce a
compiler back-end for each such machine (or perhaps a back-end that
produces portable C).

    Any other useful information/guesses about hardware/OS
    requirements of Igor/CMU Dylan?

Well, the environment's user interface will probably assume a decent
bitmapped display with color.  I don't think we're going to waste a lot of
time worrying about how Igor should look to users sitting in front of a
glass TTY.

-- Scott

Scott E. Fahlman			Internet:  ····@cs.cmu.edu
Senior Research Scientist		Phone:     412 268-2575
School of Computer Science              Fax:       412 681-5739
Carnegie Mellon University		Latitude:  40:26:33 N
5000 Forbes Avenue			Longitude: 79:56:48 W
Pittsburgh, PA 15213