From: ···@sef-pmax.slisp.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: Future of CMU Common Lisp
    From: ·······@butsomi.cs.nyu.edu (Marco Antoniotti)

    After all that is what happened.
    CMU did not have any money to spend on something with no market...

I should make clear that it is not just a question of money.  We're excited
about our new direction.  It may have taken a funding crunch to get us out
of our old groove, but at this point I don't think any of us would go back,
even if new funding for CL were to appear suddenly.

    I would suggest the CMU group to consider the possibility (unless they
    have some previous restrictions) to give CMU CL to FSF.

Several people have suggested this to me in mail, and I've discussed it
with RMS.  CMU CL is in the public domain.  FSF has always been free to do
whatever they want with CMU CL.  But for now, even with our redirected
focus, we can probably put more resources into ongoing CMU CL support, with
less wasted effort, than FSF can.

-- Scott

Scott E. Fahlman			Internet:  ····@cs.cmu.edu
Senior Research Scientist		Phone:     412 268-2575
School of Computer Science              Fax:       412 681-5739
Carnegie Mellon University		Latitude:  40:26:33 N
5000 Forbes Avenue			Longitude: 79:56:48 W
Pittsburgh, PA 15213