From: J W Dalton
Subject: Re: Future of CMU Common Lisp
···@sef-pmax.slisp.cs.cmu.edu writes:

>So, as of last April, the CMU Common Lisp project no longer exists, as
>such.  However, the group is still together and we are starting work on an
>exciting new project, also funded by (D)ARPA.  This project is called
>"Igor", and the goal is to develop an innovative new software development
>environment, based on a high-quality implementation of the new Dylan
>language.

Why not do an innovative new software development environment
based on Common Lisp?

> Whatever the future role of Common Lisp may
>be in the software world, it is no longer viewed as a hot area of research.

Is Dylan viewed as a hot area of research?

-- jd

From: Brett Person
In article <··········@festival.ed.ac.uk> ····@festival.ed.ac.uk (J W Dalton) writes:
>···@sef-pmax.slisp.cs.cmu.edu writes:
>
>>So, as of last April, the CMU Common Lisp project no longer exists, as
>>such.  However, the group is still together and we are starting work on an
>>exciting new project, also funded by (D)ARPA.  This project is called
>>"Igor", and the goal is to develop an innovative new software development
>>environment, based on a high-quality implementation of the new Dylan
>>language.
>
>Why not do an innovative new software development environment
>based on Common Lisp?

>> Whatever the future role of Common Lisp may
>>be in the software world, it is no longer viewed as a hot area of research.
>
>Is Dylan viewed as a hot area of research?

Apparently, the military hsa bought in with acadamia in beleiving that
whatever is newest is best.  I'm not flaming academics. just pointing out
that people tend to get broken legs by jumping on and off band-wagons all
the time.

My concept of Dylan is that he is a singer from Minnesota.  I've read a
little bit about the language,but haven't had time to look at it yet.

I'm not a researcher aside from what I do on my own with adative computer
equipment. Cl is being used ( somewhat succesfully ) to interface a disabled
person into a comping environment.  For that matter, so is C c++, or BASIC
if I was so inclined. Or insane.

I think we all recognise the efforts of the CMU people and appreciate what
they've done.
--
Brett Person
Guest Account
From: Dirk Pranke
In article <··········@ns1.nodak.edu> ······@plains.NoDak.edu (Brett Person) writes:
>   >
>   >Is Dylan viewed as a hot area of research?
>
>   Apparently, the military hsa bought in with acadamia in beleiving that
>   whatever is newest is best.  I'm not flaming academics. just pointing out
>   that people tend to get broken legs by jumping on and off band-wagons all
>   the time.
>
>   My concept of Dylan is that he is a singer from Minnesota.  I've read a
>   little bit about the language,but haven't had time to look at it yet.

"He's so unhip, that when you say Dylan, he thinks you're talking
about Dylan Thomas, whoever he was ... The man ain't got no culture."

                -- Simon and Garfunkel, "A Simple Desultory Philippic"

(sorry.  I just couldn't resist.)

--
  -- Dirk
     "I've been Rolling Stoned and Beatled 'till I'm blind ... "