From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: CLTL2 and RTFM (book recommdations wanted)
Doing the right amount of RTFM before posting a question to
comp.lang.lisp is some kind of hard because our fine manual "Common
Lisp - The Language 2.Ed." is a big heavy if you've got no clear idea
what you're searching for.

I am looking for a 'lighter' reference manual, one that can be read
from beginning to end without being boring, covering the more
frequently aspects of Common Lisp. Something like an introcution to
the Common Lisp library.

I heard, that

  Robert Wilensky
      "Common LISPcraft"
      W. W. Norton, 1986. 385 pages.

  Eugene Charniak, Christopher K. Riesbeck, Drew V. McDermott
      and James R. Meehan.
      "Artificial Intelligence Programming", 2nd edition.
      Lawrence Erlbaum Associates (Hillsdale, NJ), 1987. 533 pages.

have got well-scaled reference sections.
Could anybody comment on this? I have never seen this books in Germany
bookstores and dont want to do a blind order.

Is Franz Inc.'s "Common Lisp: The Reference" availiable without buying
the whole system ? In the Lisp-Faq this point is not clear to me. If
yes, does it cover the full Common-Lisp Set or a subset ?

Hints on other books welcome.

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Martin Cracauer <········@wavehh.hanse.de>, WAVEDATA, Norderstedt, Germany

From: Jim Barnett
Subject: Re: CLTL2 and RTFM (book recommdations wanted)
 The Franz manual is available separate from the system (publisher
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-11458-5.) My copy is for CLTL-1. I don't
know if there is an updated version. It's quite good, and I use it far
more than I do CLTL, but I don't know if I'd want to read it cover to
cover. Since it's organized alphabetically, there are whole sections
(e.g., pathname, pathname-device, pathname-directory, pathname-host,
pathname-name,...) that are as bad as the Begats in the Bible.

Keene's "Object-Oriented Programming in Common-Lisp" is a very good
intro to CLOS.

- Jim
From: Jason Trenouth

Jim>  The Franz manual is available separate from the system (publisher
Jim> Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-11458-5.) My copy is for CLTL-1. I don't
Jim> know if there is an updated version. It's quite good, and I use it far
Jim> more than I do CLTL, but I don't know if I'd want to read it cover to
Jim> cover. Since it's organized alphabetically, there are whole sections
Jim> (e.g., pathname, pathname-device, pathname-directory, pathname-host,
Jim> pathname-name,...) that are as bad as the Begats in the Bible.

The current dpANS for Common Lisp is organised more along these lines,
and includes a glossary etc. CLtL-3 or its equivalent should be much
more useful as a reference guide than its predecessors.

See the Lisp FAQ for details on how to get a copy of the dpANS.

| Jason Trenouth,                        | JANET: ·····@uk.co.harlqn        |
| Harlequin Ltd, Barrington Hall,        | TEL:   (0223) 872522             |
| Barrington, Cambridge CB2 5RG, UK      | FAX:   (0223) 872519             |