From: Lance Brown
Subject: Data Structure Question
Hello,

I am working on a order generation program for a game and cannot decide
on the data structure for storing game data I am parsing out of the
turn reports.

I am planning on using a totally list-based data structure, and cannot
decide whether to incorporate all the data in a list-of-lists structure or
use multiple lists defined at the global level.

The data is logically arranged like:

(Player1 (Stats x y z)
         (foo  (Foo1 1 2 3)
               (Foo2 4 5 6)
         )
         (bar  (bar1 g h j)
         )
)

with multiple players.

In general is it easier to deal with each player's data as a list defined
in the global scope or should I place the data for all the players in
a single global-scope list and call it 'data'?  Right now I am leaning
toward the first approach for lack of a good way to generate the "mega-
list" in the 2nd.

I am implementing in xlisp 2.1e on a PC and using MSDOS PERL to translate
the turn report into lisp.

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions you might have.

Thanks,
  Lance