From: Kevin Layer
Subject: Re: An editor with identifier-completion ?
The following is a reply from David Margolies (··@franz.com) of Franz
Inc.:

  In article <···················@liasun6.epfl.ch> you write:
  >Franz' Lisp mode itself is freely distributable and can be FTPed from
  >e.g. ftp.uu.net:/vendor/franz/emacs/emacs-lisp-2.0.4.tar.Z.
  >Unfortunately the IPC code isn't included in this distribution - it is
  >integrated with their Allegro Common Lisp product.

  I was under the impression that the Franz emacs-lisp code was
  available only by license from Franz. I've enclosed below the entry
  from the Lisp FAQ posting (question 2-1, "Is there a GNU-Emacs
  interface to Lisp?").

     Franz Inc.'s GNU-Emacs/Lisp interface includes an online Common
     Lisp manual. It is available by license from Franz Inc. Contact
     ····@franz.com for more information. There is also a mailing list,
     ························@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu.

  If Franz's policy on the distribution of the code has changed, I would
  certainly like to update the entry in the Lisp FAQ.

I think the confusion lies with determining the antecedent of `It' in
the sentence `It is available by license....'

The Interface that we distribute with Allegro CL contains three
separate parts:

      1.  The GNU Emacs Lisp code
      2.  The internal Common Lisp code (that makes Allegro CL work
          closely with the interface)
      3.  A database of man pages describing Common Lisp and Allegro
          CL-specific functions.

The first of these is freely available by ftp (e.g. from ftp.uu.net as
described above).  Much of it will (with probably a little
modification) work with any Common Lisp.

The second is part of the Allegro CL product and must be licensed
(along with Allegro CL -- it is not broken out).  It allows Emacs to
provide additional functionality (such as providing argument lists for
functions and descriptions of Lisp objects).  This code is Allegro CL
specific.

The third is a set of copyrighted man pages.  While the mechanism for
accessing these pages is part of the interface, the pages themselves
are not.

So, the `It' in the displayed paragraph refers to the online manual,
not the GNU-Emacs/Lisp interface.  Perhaps the paragraph could be
rewritten as follows:

     Franz Inc.'s GNU-Emacs/Lisp interface includes an online Common
     Lisp manual. The contents of the online manual are available by
     license from Franz Inc. Contact ····@franz.com for more
     information. There is also a mailing list,
     ························@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu.

Here or elsewhere it should say:

     The Franz GNU-Emacs/Lisp interface code is available
     by ftp, from e.g.
     ftp.uu.net:/vendor/franz/emacs/emacs-lisp-2.0.4.tar.Z.
--
Kevin Layer, Franz Inc.         1995 University Avenue, Suite 275
·····@Franz.COM (internet)      Berkeley, CA  94704  USA