From: Michael Fleming
Subject: What Applications Have Been Written In Lisp?
* In a message originally to All, John W.F. McClain said:
JM> What "major" applications have been written in Lisp?  I also
JM> include
JM> in this category applications like GNU Emacs, that are
JM> written (or
JM> bootstrapped?) in another language but have a lisp
JM> interrupter at
JM> their core.  It is not enough to simply have lisp as the
JM> extension
JM> language, large parts of the application have to be written
JM> in lisp.

The Symbolics S-products certainly qualify as a large application
written in Lisp. On a lisp machine, it is a mistake to speak of "an
application". What the S-products do is extend the Lisp machine to
include painting, 3d modelling, animation, and rendering
capabilities. Actually, thinking as an applicationist, it would
qualify as four applications, and a lot of utilities that an
applicationist would probably consider an application. This is good
stuff.
 * Origin: The Interocitor*AI/Robotics*214-258-1832 (1:124/2206)