From: Steve M. Ruegsegger
Subject: A response for information about Neural Nets in Common LISP.
I colleague of mine forwarded to me your message concerning NNs in
Common Lisp. I have been active in the area of NNs mainly for
scheduling, but also for classification. My experience suggests that
the basic Hopfield model does not perform well, at least not when
compared with the GDS-net, our own development.

Below I give you some refs. which you might want to follow up. They
describe the architecture is, its performance measured on toy
problems such as N-queens and its application to a
demanding real-world scheduling problem (i.e. Hubble Space Telescope).
I can provide you with reprints, if necessary.

Adorf, H.-M., Johnston, M.D.: 1988, RArtificial Neural Nets in
AstronomyS, in: Workshop RKonnektionismusS, Feb 1988, Bonn,
FRG, C. Lischka and J. Kindermann (ed.), Gesellschaft fr
Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung, pp. 3Q5.

Adorf, H.-M.: 1989, RConnectionism and Neural NetworksS, in:
Knowledge-Based Systems in AstronomyS, A. Heck and F.
Murtagh (ed.), Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, FRG, pp. 215Q245.

Adorf, H.-M., Johnston, M.D.: 1990, RA Discrete Stochastic Neural
Network Algorithm for Constraint Satisfaction ProblemsS, in: Int.
Joint Conf. on Neural Networks (IJCNN 90), 17Q21 Jun 1990, San
Diego, CA, USA, pp. 917Q924.

Johnston, M.D., Adorf, H.-M.: 1989, RLearning in Stochastic Neural
Networks for Constraint Satisfaction ProblemsS, in: NASA Conf. on
Space Telerobotics, 31 Jan Q 2 Feb 1989, Pasadena, CA, G.
Rodriguez and H. Seraji (ed.), pp. 367Q376.

Johnston, M.D., Adorf, H.-M.: 1992, RScheduling with Neural
Networks Q The Case of Hubble Space TelescopeS, Computers and
Operations Research, special issue on "Neural Networks" 19, No.
3/4, 209Q240.

Everything is coded in Common Lisp and in principle, the code is
publicly available (though I have to check with my collaborators).

There are further papers available, concerning e.g. NNs for
classification, if you are interested. But the code was not written
in CL. Nevertheless the alorithms may be interesting to you.

Cheers
Hans-Martin Adorf

Space Telesope - European Coordinating Facility
European Southern Observatory
Karl-Schwarzschild-Str. 2
D-8046 Garching bei Muenchen
Internet: ·····@eso.org