From: Bruce Feist
Subject: Lisp implementions
  SE> Are there any PD implementations of Lisp in C available? FTP-able? I
  SE> am on an Apple II series capable of compiling ANSI C.

Source for non-commercial users is available for XLISP and XSCHEME, two
implementations by David Michael Betz.  I don't know about FTP'ing; if nobody
else here knows, you might try posting on Comp.Lang.Lisp.X.  Alternatively, you
can contact the author at:

David Michael Betz
127 Taylor Road
Peterborough, NH 03458
(603) 924-4145 (home)

The above info is 4 years old, and could easily be out of date.

I have the source available on my board, but it's in your choice of MS-DOS or
Mac formats; if the Apple can deal with ARC format, I can post it for you.  I'm
in Northern Virginia.

From: Eric Shafer '93
Subject: Re: Lisp implementions
Hello,
	Please forgive all nettiquite errors in advance.

I am going to be programming a simulator in C for lisp in order to
test garbage collection algorithms.  The simulator will only be a
striped down version of lisp probly containing only car, cdr, cons,
defun, and a few built-ins.
	My problem is two fold, I need references to find out how real
Lisp interpreters are coded (data structures, parsing, storage of
functions, etc.). And I would like to find literature on common
garbage colletion algorithms.  I checked the FAQ 4/5 in comp.lang.lisp
and could not find any references to papers or articles that will
serve my purpose.
	If anyone could help me locate some literature on current,
common pratices in implementaions and garbage collection I would
appreciate it greatly.

Send replys to:

·······@starbase.trincoll.edu

Thanks,

Eric Shafer
From: Andy Wilson
In article <······················@starbase.trincoll.edu>, ·······@starbase.trincoll.edu (Eric Shafer '93) writes:

|> Hello,
|> 	Please forgive all nettiquite errors in advance.
|>
|> I am going to be programming a simulator in C for lisp in order to
|> test garbage collection algorithms.  The simulator will only be a
|> striped down version of lisp probly containing only car, cdr, cons,
|> defun, and a few built-ins.
|> 	My problem is two fold, I need references to find out how real
|> Lisp interpreters are coded (data structures, parsing, storage of
|> functions, etc.). And I would like to find literature on common
|> garbage colletion algorithms.  I checked the FAQ 4/5 in comp.lang.lisp
|> and could not find any references to papers or articles that will
|> serve my purpose.
|> 	If anyone could help me locate some literature on current,
|> common pratices in implementaions and garbage collection I would
|> appreciate it greatly.

Wilson, Paul R., "Uniprocessor Garbage Collection Techniques" is an excellent
survey,  and appears in the proceedings of the 1992 Int'. Workshop on Memory
Management.  You can get a copy from the author at ······@cs.utexas.edu.

From: Randy Fischer
> Wilson, Paul R., "Uniprocessor Garbage Collection Techniques" is an excellent
> survey,  and appears in the proceedings of the 1992 Int'. Workshop on Memory
> Management.  You can get a copy from the author at ······@cs.utexas.edu.

It seems you can get this paper via anonymous ftp:
	cs.utexas.edu:pub/garbage/gcsurvey.ps

						Randy Fischer
From: Mark Kantrowitz
In article <················@blkcat.UUCP> ···········@p1.f615.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Bruce Feist) writes:
>Source for non-commercial users is available for XLISP and XSCHEME, two
>implementations by David Michael Betz.  I don't know about FTP'ing; if nobody
>else here knows, you might try posting on Comp.Lang.Lisp.X.  Alternatively,
>you can contact the author at:
>
>David Michael Betz
>127 Taylor Road
> [deleted]
>
>The above info is 4 years old, and could easily be out of date.

It is out of date. Please check the Lisp FAQ before replying to
messages like these. We're attempting to keep it up to date, so it
pays to check it first (and if you think the entry in the Lisp FAQ is
wrong, you can always send us a correction). Feel free to mail a copy
of the most recent version of the Lisp FAQ to people who ask FAQs.

The correct information on XLISP is as follows, excerpted from the
FAQ:

   XLISP is free, and runs on the IBM PC (MSDOS), Amiga (AmigaDOS),
   Atari ST (TOS), Apple Macintosh, and Unix. It should run on
   anything with a C compiler.	It was written by David Michael Betz,
   167 Villa Avenue #11, Los Gatos, CA 95032, 408-354-9303 (H),
   408-862-6325 (W), ·····@apple.com. The reference manual was
   written by Tim Mikkelsen. Version 2.0 is available by anonymous ftp from
	   cs.orst.edu:/pub/xlisp/ [128.193.32.1] or
	   sumex-aim.stanford.edu:info-mac/lang/
   Version 2.1 is the same as XLISP 2.0, but modified to bring it closer
   to Common Lisp and with several bugs fixed. It can be obtained by
   anonymous ftp from
		   glia.biostr.washington.edu	   128.95.10.115
		   bikini.cis.ufl.edu		   128.227.224.1
   in the file xlisp21c.zip (soon xlisp21d.zip) and comes with IBM/PC
   executables. For obtaining a copy through US mail, send email to Tom
   Almy, ····@sail.labs.tek.com.

--mark