From: Piercarlo Grandi
Subject: Re: Looking For CLOS & MOP & *Multitasking*

flan> Hi, I'm looking for a version of Lisp with CLOS, MOP, _and_ a
flan> multitasking facility.  To be more specific, I'd like a full CLOS.

To be even more specific, I think you want much more than that:

flan> I've looked at the Closette from "The Art of the Metaobject
flan> Protocol" and it has too many limitations.  For example, I want

flan> class redefinition, method redefinition, forward-referenced
flan> superclasses, deductive construction of generic functions,
flan> re-definable method combination, eql specializers, and :class slot
flan> allocation, [ ... ] to be able to redefine the way in which
flan> methods are applied, [ ... and also become:, persistency, and last
flan> but not least ... ], a multitasking system.

flan> [ ... i.e. everything ... ]

Well, you essentially want a full blown capability machine, with an
integrated operating system and language, and a frame based shell on top
of it.

flan> What's out there that has all this?  Is there a multitasking
flan> package for AKCL (PCL)?  For the CMU Common Lisp?

I think that doing an efficient implementation of a system like you
want is still very much an open research problem. Maybe at Cambridge
they still have a working CAP. You could start from that, and integrate
Self onto it :-).
--
Piercarlo Grandi                   | JNET: ···@uk.ac.aber
Dept of CS, University of Wales    | UUCP: ...!aber-cs!pcg