From: Asmawi Mohamad
Subject: LISP for PC
Does anyone out there know if there is any LISP program for PC platform
available.  I know there is one for macintosh (MacLISP), but I haven't
come across one for PC yet.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Asmawi

From: Kevin Layer
Subject: Re: LISP for PC
Allegro CL\PC for Windows 3.1 is in beta release now and will be
released in full in November.  Send mail to ····@franz.com for more
information.

--
Kevin Layer, Franz Inc.         1995 University Avenue, Suite 275
·····@Franz.COM (internet)      Berkeley, CA  94704  USA
From: Douglas E. Dyer
In comp.lang.lisp Asmawi Mohamad writes:

>Does anyone out there know if there is any LISP program for PC platform
>available.  I know there is one for macintosh (MacLISP), but I haven't
>come across one for PC yet.

This question has come up several times recently, so I thought I would
post an answer.

Kevin has already responded about the planned compiler from Franz.
This product arose from Procyon Common Lisp which received favorable
reviews in an article which appeared in AI Expert, Feb 92, p.49.  That
article also reviewed two other MS-DOS Lisps, Golden Common Lisp from
Gold Hill (Cambridge, MA) and Star Sapphire CL (not a full
implementation nor a compiler).  See the article for details.

Procyon CL also received review in the UK distribution of Byte, but
the article was not included in the US distribution.  I obtained the
article from Franz after requesting infomation via their net address.

There are two other MS-DOS CL possibilities that I know of.  Venue's
Medley for DOS/Windows was to have shipped in September.  I was
supposed to have received an evaluation copy, but I have not yet
(also, I have not followed up on this, so the fault is partially
mine).  There is also a product from Raindrop Software called Software
Engineer, a Windows application.  Software Engineer includes CLOS,
generates binary executables, and costs $249; I would guess that the
language is not complete--less than 1 MB of disk is required--but it
sounds impressive.  See issues of AI Expert for ads containing more
information on these products.

So far, I have assumed that you are interested in MS-DOS or
DOS/Windows as the operating environment.  Obviously, you may be
willing to change operating systems or add an operating system to
obtain a good programming environment.  I know of no products
available for OS/2, or, for that matter, SVR4 UNIX.  However, I have
used a version of Lucid Common Lisp on an older System V release of
UNIX--KEE actually used it--so there might be some products for SVR4.
Being a fan of the BSD-flavors of Unix (an I use this term
generically, to identify operating systems which are compatible with
respect to system calls, and not as the trademark of AT&T/USL's
product UNIX), I would like to see a commercial Common Lisp for BSDI's
BSD/386.  IMO, BSD/386 is techinically the best buy of the PC Unix
products, especially considering that sources are available for less
than $1K.  BSD/386 on a 486 begins to look a lot like a Sun
workstation, except for the price--the availability of a Common Lisp
for this platform would be very nice for developers...

Doug Dyer
PhD Student, AI Planning
Air Force Institute of Technology
·····@afit.af.mil

--
Doug Dyer					    /\
PhD Student, Computer Engineering/AI Planning    /\/  \     BSD/386 User
From: Kellom{ki Pertti
In article <······················@afit.af.mil> ·····@afit.af.mil (Douglas E. Dyer) writes:
   I would like to see a commercial Common Lisp for BSDI's
   BSD/386.  IMO, BSD/386 is techinically the best buy of the PC Unix
   products, especially considering that sources are available for less
   than $1K.  BSD/386 on a 486 begins to look a lot like a Sun
   workstation, except for the price--the availability of a Common Lisp
   for this platform would be very nice for developers...

Hope I do not start a flame war about the relative merits of different
flavors of PC Unix, but there is a version of Common Lisp for the
operating system Linux. Linux is a free Unix-lookalike for 386/486
boxes. Being a Scheme person, I have not tried the CL myself, I just
saw an announce of its availability. Linux can make a pretty nice
programming environment now that one can run X, emacs etc., and it is
totally free. Look at comp.os.linux for more information.

--
Pertti Kellom\"aki (TeX format)  #       These opinions are mine,
  Tampere Univ. of TeXnology     #              ALL MINE !
From: Jong Gyun Lim
>Hope I do not start a flame war about the relative merits of different
>flavors of PC Unix, but there is a version of Common Lisp for the
>operating system Linux. Linux is a free Unix-lookalike for 386/486
>boxes. Being a Scheme person, I have not tried the CL myself, I just
>saw an announce of its availability. Linux can make a pretty nice
>programming environment now that one can run X, emacs etc., and it is
>totally free. Look at comp.os.linux for more information.

I guess I missed the announcement of CL availability on comp.os.linux.
Could you please forward it to me and/or post it here?
I know somebody managed to run AKCL on 386bsd (another nice free PC Unix),
but I haven't heard of anyone running it on linux.  BTW, the FAQ file for
this newsgroup has a nice summary of the free/commercial CL's including
AKCL and those that run on PC.  I should correct myself that AKCL is not
really a free software.  You need a licence to use it.  Getting the
licence, however, is really easy and takes no time/money.  Again read all
about it in FAQ.

Jong-Gyun Lim                            212) 939-7113   704 Schapiro Building
Department of Computer Science				   Columbia University
From: Jeff Dalton
If you're willing to use a non-DOS OS, there's a version of AKCL
that works with 386BSD (the free BSD for 386).  It shouldn't be
too hard to make it work on BSDI's system too.

-- jeff