From: Hallvard Tr{tteberg
Subject: CLOS streams
Hi Lispers,

I've written a CLIM text editor for MCL 2.0 and have made a streams
interface to it so it can be written to using print, format etc, and
read from using read-char, read etc. This was quite easy, as MCL
documents the streams class to subclass and the low-level methods to
implement to make a complete streams implementation.

However, since my project partners use Lucid and Allegro Lisps, I (or
the partners) have to port it. And they can't seem to find the
relevant documentation for doing the port. The Allegro user has been
able to do the port buy digging inside the system, but the Lucid user
is stuck.

Can anyone help me (and my partners) find a way to subclass the native
streams class and tell which methods must be reimplemented to make it
work. I'm most in the need for Lucid help, but any suggestions
concerning Allegro will also be helpful.

I'll cry if it cannot be done, and thank MCL developers for their
wonderful implementation.

Regards, Hallvard
--
Hallvard Traetteberg
Dept. of Knowledge Based Systems

Tlf: +47 2 45 29 83 or  +47 2 45 20 10
Fax: +47 2 45 20 40
Email: ···················@si.no

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: CLOS streams
For Lucid CL, see the section "WRITING YOUR OWN STREAMS" in the wizards.doc
file.  It doesn't use CLOS, but instead uses a more primitive object system
that Lucid implemented for this purpose before CLOS existed.

From: Simon Leinen
In article <······················@monsun.si.no> ········@monsun.si.no
(Hallvard Tr{tteberg) writes:

   However, since my project partners use Lucid and Allegro Lisps, I
   (or the partners) have to port it. And they can't seem to find the
   relevant documentation for doing the port. [...]

Since we know now that Lucid's stream documentation can be found in
the wizards.doc file, here's where Franz documented their streams:

Chapter 18, "The implementation of streams", in the Allegro CL User
Guide, Volume Two, for version 4.1.

Their streams implementation is based on CLOS, so you use DEFCLASS and
DEFMETHOD to define new stream classes.
--
Simon.
From: Kevin Layer
Allegro Common Lisp 4.1 documents its CLOS-based stream interface, and
even has examples of how people can extend streams for their own
purposes.  See chapter 18 in the Allegro CL User Guide.
--
Kevin Layer, Franz Inc.         1995 University Avenue, Suite 275
·····@Franz.COM (internet)      Berkeley, CA  94704  USA