From: Jason Petry
Subject: Object Oriented Lisp (CLOS)
Hi,
    I'm new to LISP programming, but I'm interested in OOP, programming
and am familiar with Object-Oriented Pascals and C++. I was reading Wade
Hennessey's COMMON LISP book and came across a chapter on OOP in LISP. HE
says "..at the time this is being written[1989] the Common Lisp Object
System (CLOS) is being standardized, and should be widely available in a
few years. Does anyone know if CLOS has been standardized, and what
implementations of LISP support it? I am particularly interested in some
of the features that are rather non-standard in many OOP languages, such
as multiple inheritance.
From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Object Oriented Lisp (CLOS)
In article <············@bluemoon.rn.com> ······@bluemoon.rn.com (Jason Petry) writes:
>Hi,
>    I'm new to LISP programming, but I'm interested in OOP, programming
>and am familiar with Object-Oriented Pascals and C++. I was reading Wade
>Hennessey's COMMON LISP book and came across a chapter on OOP in LISP. HE
>says "..at the time this is being written[1989] the Common Lisp Object
>System (CLOS) is being standardized, and should be widely available in a
>few years. Does anyone know if CLOS has been standardized, and what
>implementations of LISP support it? I am particularly interested in some
>of the features that are rather non-standard in many OOP languages, such
>as multiple inheritance.

Yes, CLOS is included in draft proposed American National Standard (dpANS)
Common Lisp.  It's also described in Chapter 28 of the 2nd Edition of CLtL,
although that isn't official and is slightly out of date.  For information
on getting the dpANS, ftp public-review.text and pr-ftp.text from
/public/think/lisp on ftp.think.com.