From: Jeff Close
Subject: Is there a PACKAGE PROBLEM in Allegro?
Hi.  I'm using Allegro CL on a Sparc 1.1 and am getting strange behavior in
some code regarding package redefinition.  At least, it's strange compared to
what I would expect.  Specifically, it doesn't seem to have an effect when I
try to redefine a package.  The package itself is a problem because it doesn't
seem to "see" many common symbols from CLOS, including defclass and others,
even though it uses CL-USER.

Thanks much for any suggestions...

jeff
······@ads.com: ADS BA&H/2111 Wilson Bd #800/Arlington, VA 22201 703-243-1611

Anarchists don't believe in rules.  Surrealists make up their own.
From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Is there a PACKAGE PROBLEM in Allegro?
In article <····················@chesapeake.ads.com> ······@chesapeake.ads.com (Jeff Close) writes:
>Hi.  I'm using Allegro CL on a Sparc 1.1 and am getting strange behavior in
>some code regarding package redefinition.  At least, it's strange compared to
>what I would expect.  Specifically, it doesn't seem to have an effect when I
>try to redefine a package.  The package itself is a problem because it doesn't
>seem to "see" many common symbols from CLOS, including defclass and others,
>even though it uses CL-USER.

CL-USER doesn't export anything by default, so a package that uses CL-USER
isn't going to inherit anything from it.  You should specify CLOS in the
:USE option when you create your package.

In general, including the CL-USER package in the :USE list of a package is
a bad idea, since you (the software developer) have no idea what the end
user may have done to the CL-USER package, and you may end up with
unexpected conflicts.