From: Thomas Kunz
Subject: AKCL and X windows on a non BSD-machine
We are just starting with Lisp, so our local knowledge is somewhat limited.
I succeded in compiling AKCL and PCL on our new IBM RS6000 workstations, but
have the following problem now. The X interface CLX, when compiled under
KCL/AKCL, requires the use of FASLINK. This internal system function, how-
ever, is provided only for KCL/BSD, that is, KCL on BSD Unix systems. Is
there a way to have an X interface (it doesn't have to be CLX) for AKCL on
IBM RS6000 running AIX3.2, X11R4?

-Thomas Kunz, Darmstadt
From: Richard Harris
Subject: Re: AKCL and X windows on a non BSD-machine
> We are just starting with Lisp, so our local knowledge is somewhat limited.
> I succeded in compiling AKCL and PCL on our new IBM RS6000 workstations, but
> have the following problem now. The X interface CLX, when compiled under
> KCL/AKCL, requires the use of FASLINK. This internal system function, how-
> ever, is provided only for KCL/BSD, that is, KCL on BSD Unix systems. Is
> there a way to have an X interface (it doesn't have to be CLX) for AKCL on
> IBM RS6000 running AIX3.2, X11R4?

> -Thomas Kunz, Darmstadt

Compile the clx file socket.c to produce a .o file.  Refer to the
function compile-c (internal to compile-clx in clx/defsystem.lisp) to
see how to do this.

Make a version of akcl that includes the file socket.  To do this,
 set clxdir = /some-directory/clx
 touch $clxdir/socket.o
 cd akcl
 make -f Smakefile
 cd unixport
 make saved_kcl EXTRAS=$clxdir/socket.o

Then, when you load CLX, use LOAD instead of SI:FASLINK to load the
file "sockcl".

Richard Harris