From: Jeff Sullivan
Subject: CLIM 1.0 source for displaying bitmapped images in a window?
It would seem like such an obvious thing, yet CLIM 1 can't do it.
Does anyone have some code that does do it?  I've heard that you can
hack the INK to work...

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan             | Research Scientist et al.
···@isi.edu (Internet)          | Information Sciences Institute
72511,402    (Compuserve)       | University of Southern California

From: Brad Myers
In article <·····@venera.isi.edu> ···@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

>It would seem like such an obvious thing, yet CLIM 1 can't do it.
>Does anyone have some code that does do it?  I've heard that you can
>hack the INK to work...
>
>jas
>--

Of course, the Garnet toolkit directly supports both black and white
bitmaps, and color Pixmaps.

Brad Myers
······@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu
From: Scott McKay
    Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1992 12:53 EST
    From: Brad Myers <····@cs.cmu.edu>

    In article <·····@venera.isi.edu> ···@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

    >It would seem like such an obvious thing, yet CLIM 1 can't do it.
    >Does anyone have some code that does do it?  I've heard that you can
    >hack the INK to work...
    >
    >jas
    >--

    Of course, the Garnet toolkit directly supports both black and white
    bitmaps, and color Pixmaps.

CLIM 1.1 supports abstract pixmap-y things called patterns.  You create
them using MAKE-PATTERN, and can draw them by using them as the ink
argument to any of the drawing functions.

CLIM 2.0 supports pixmaps, color maps (which we call palettes), and
"layered colors" (which give access to color cells and planes).

Pixmaps are different from patterns because patterns are fully
device-independent, whereas pixmaps are device-dependent.  For example,
you can copy bits in and out of a pixmap, but you can't do that with a
pattern.  On the other hand, patterns are portable -- they can be
"saved" and reused on other display devices, etc.
From: Jeff Sullivan
In article <····················@SUMMER.SCRC.Symbolics.COM> ···@stony-brook.scrc.symbolics.com (Scott McKay) writes:

>  Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1992 12:53 EST
>  From: Brad Myers <····@cs.cmu.edu>
>
>  In article <·····@venera.isi.edu> ···@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
>  >
>  >It would seem like such an obvious thing, yet CLIM 1 can't do it.
>  >Does anyone have some code that does do it?  I've heard that you can
>  >hack the INK to work...
>  >
>  >jas
>  >--
>
>  Of course, the Garnet toolkit directly supports both black and white
>  bitmaps, and color Pixmaps.
>
>CLIM 1.1 supports abstract pixmap-y things called patterns.  You create
>them using MAKE-PATTERN, and can draw them by using them as the ink
>argument to any of the drawing functions.
>
>CLIM 2.0 supports pixmaps, color maps (which we call palettes), and
>"layered colors" (which give access to color cells and planes).
>
>Pixmaps are different from patterns because patterns are fully
>device-independent, whereas pixmaps are device-dependent.  For example,
>you can copy bits in and out of a pixmap, but you can't do that with a
>pattern.  On the other hand, patterns are portable -- they can be
>"saved" and reused on other display devices, etc.

Okay, so can anyone tell me if, for example, I have a monochrome X
bitmap file in "foo.bm", and I want to display it on a (monochrome)
CLIM window *window*, precisely how to make it into a pattern?

Under CLIM 1.1.  (We also have CLX installed.  We don not have Garnet
loaded, nor can we afford another package in our image.)

I need direct cookbok help on this, if possible.  I don't have the
time to "play" with CLIM; I'm suppoed to have this interface done in a
week for a demo.  Ugh.