From: Seth Chaiklin
Subject: packages (novice question)
Using CMU CL 16e.

Is it possible to write an init file (or use a command-line option)
that will execute an (in-package 'package) when lisp is started.
I have read friendly manuals, and experimented, but come up blank.
(I will not object if the answer comes in a slightly didactic or
tutorial form. (-: )

[What I'm trying to do....I'm using the OPS package.  I can load
a compiled version of the OPS package on startup, but I would think
there would be a way to give a (in-package :ops) as part of an
init file.]

Cheers,
  Seth Chaiklin
  ········@aau.dk
From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: packages (novice question)
In article <·····················@aau.dk> ········@aau.dk (Seth Chaiklin) writes:
>Is it possible to write an init file (or use a command-line option)
>that will execute an (in-package 'package) when lisp is started.
>I have read friendly manuals, and experimented, but come up blank.
>(I will not object if the answer comes in a slightly didactic or
>tutorial form. (-: )

If your goal is to set the package so that it will be the default when you
enter the read-eval-print loop, this cannot be done portably, and probably
not at all in most CL implementations (the only one I know how to do it in
is Symbolics).  The reason is that LOAD binds *PACKAGE*, so when Lisp is
done loading your init file it will restore the package back to its initial
value.