From: Kirt Undercoffer
Subject: Satisfiability program available, common lisp
 DP> I'm very interested in "in practice" kinds of instances.  I wonder how
 DP> hard the NP-complete instances that actually arise in areas outside of
 DP> CS theory really are.

 DP> If you'd like to trade "hard" instances, let me know.

A real project at the Department of Agriculture gave rise to the Traveling
Salesman Problem.  The project was a dBase or Clipper implementation of a
varient of TSP - given n people and x locations and z,c,v constraints what is
the optimum path during their day they need to take to visit a series of points?
 Even with a realtively low number of constraints this problem was practically
unsolveable as originally formulated (obviously - the program churned for three
days or so to produce a path for one person - later the problem was
simplified).