From: Matt Baney
Subject: Looking for info on Reverse Engineering tools
I got this request from a colleague who doesn't have access to the
net!!  Please reply via email either to me, or directly to Ms. Ricken
at ·······@net.a1.ca.boeing.com
thanks
mattb

From:	NAME: Debra A Ricken
To:	······@···················@······@mrgate

Mr. Baney

  I was wondering if you had a spare moment to view the Usenet for topics
that related to AUTOMATED SE TOOLS that takes an existing piece of software
and BREAKS IT BACK DOWN INTO THE STEPS OF DEVELOPMENT.  Such as data flow
diagrams, functional flow, or relationships between objects and/or functions
for the purpose of re-using the algorithms, or data flow, but not necessarily
re-using the actual routine.  Some of the keywords may be re-engineering,
re-use, reverse-engineering.  I'm writing a report regarding that seminar I
went to and I'm interested in finding out if there are other companies, or
even ours, who know about this, and where I can get general information.

  Maybe you could post it to the news for me with responses mailed to me,
or should (can I?) post it myself.

--
|  Matt Baney         | Boeing Defense and Space Division    |
|  -----------------  |   Knowledge Systems Group            |
From: Richard S Neale
Subject: Re: Looking for info on Reverse Engineering tools
While at the KBSE-92 Conference I was exposed to the Software Refinery
by Reasoning Systems, 3260 Hillview Av., Palo Alto, CA 94304.  This was
a tool that reverse engineered a given application with output describing
in graphical and report form the structure of the code.  To note, it is
capable of extracting algorithms and language constructs and allow
transforms which can be brought back out.  That is, it can do language
translations or restructuring without loss of content.

I hope this helps.

Richard Neale
--
with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;