From: John Cooley
Subject: Symbolics & LISP machines
> From: ·····@cs.mcgill.ca (Marc WANDSCHNEIDER)
> Subject: LISP Machine
>
> 	Howdy!  We are about to embark on a project to study associative
> memory schemes, and were wondering if anybody knew where we might be able
> to find some papers or books on the LISP machine..?  Our Local Library's
> CD ROMs or Computers couldn't find anything on it.

Marc, you may want to look up a Massachusetts based company called "Symbolics".

A lot of what I know about them is quite old.  I don't know what they're doing
today but here's a quick synopsys of what they've done:

It was founded by some MIT LISP gurus and practically every piece of code
written in that company was in LISP.  (And I mean everything! mailers, editors,
file managers, - you name it, they've probably done it in LISP.)

They even wrote, in LISP, their own complete software package to do full
custom ASIC design!  It was called NS (which stands for New Schema) and I
heard noises that Analog Devices bought it from them years ago (because at the
time there wasn't much offered on the software for ASIC design.)  Apparently,
for it's time, NS was quite an advanced set of tools to design with.

They also used to make and sell their own hardware that was optimised to run
LISP code as efficiently as LISP code can be run.  I remember the name
"LISP BOOM" for some reason.
					- John Cooley
					  ESNUG Moderator

 Trapped trying to figure out a Synopsys bug?  Want to hear how others dealt
 with it ?  Join the E-Mail Synopsys Users Group!  To join, E-mail me today!
      !!!     "It's not a BUG,    | Preferred Address: ·······@world.std.com
     /o o\  /  it's a FEATURE!"   |    Backup Address: ·······@miracle.com
    (  >  )                       |           (508) 480-0800  x1241
     \ - /       |   Snail Mail: P.O. Box 6222, Holliston, MA 01746-6222
     _] [_       |     "This here ain't no one's opinion 'cept my own."

From: Carl L. Gay
Subject: Re: Symbolics & LISP machines
   From: ·······@world.std.com (John Cooley)
   Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1992 18:56:06 GMT

   > From: ·····@cs.mcgill.ca (Marc WANDSCHNEIDER)
   > Subject: LISP Machine
   >
   > 	Howdy!  We are about to embark on a project to study associative
   > memory schemes, and were wondering if anybody knew where we might be able
   > to find some papers or books on the LISP machine..?  Our Local Library's
   > CD ROMs or Computers couldn't find anything on it.

"Symbolics Architecture", IEEE Magazine, Jan 87.
"The Symbolics I-Machine Architecture", ICCD Prceedings, 1987
"The Symbolics Ivory Processor",           "              "

"NS: An Integrated Symbolic Design System", ULSI 85, Proceedings of
the IFIP TC 10/WG 10.5 International Conference an VLSI, Aug 1985.

   Marc, you may want to look up a Massachusetts based company called
   "Symbolics".

   A lot of what I know about them is quite old.
   [...]
   They also used to make and sell their own hardware that was
   optimised to run LISP code as efficiently as LISP code can be run.

Still do.  Have just recently come out with the NXP1000.  I don't know
much about it except I believe it's a desktop machine and runs Lisp
pretty fast (somewhere in the range of a Sun 4 I believe, but with a
much better development environment).  Symbolics' number is 800-394-5522.

   I remember the name "LISP BOOM" for some reason.
					   - John Cooley
					     ESNUG Moderator

I don't know why.  :-)

-Carl
From: Pete Grant
Subject: NXP1000, was Re: Symbolics & LISP machines
In article <·················@ilix.cs.uoregon.edu> ····@cs.uoregon.edu writes:

>   They also used to make and sell their own hardware that was
>   optimised to run LISP code as efficiently as LISP code can be run.
>
>Still do.  Have just recently come out with the NXP1000.  I don't know
>much about it except I believe it's a desktop machine and runs Lisp
>pretty fast (somewhere in the range of a Sun 4 I believe, but with a
>much better development environment).  Symbolics' number is 800-394-5522.

NXP1000 (they started to call it "The Brick" but seem to have dropped that
designation recently) is a Lisp processor designed to be used in conjunction
with Suns and other machines in a networked environment.  It's a complete
CPU with its own hard disk but no monitor or keyboard.  A user who has an
X-windows terminal can logon to the NXP1000 and have a full Genera
development system available.

Of course, like other Symbolics machines, it's a single-user box but
since it's on the net, anyone can logon to it at his/her own desk.

We've had ours for a month now.  It was rather unreliable at first but
seems to work OK now.  It appears to be quite fast; however, this
appearance may be due to the ultra-quick screen IO of the Suns.  I plan to
run our "big" system on it and find out -- when I get time.

Pete.