From: Zdzislaw Meglicki
Subject: Parallel Lisp
Can anybody direct me to papers about Lisp in parallel?
I know vaguely about CLiP, but since it runs on Sequents only, it's
not of much interest to me, unless there are implementations of
this paradigm for other platforms. I would be most interested in
Lisp on networks of workstations. I have tried *Lisp, but *Lisp only
allows numerical variables, bytes and characters to be laid out on the
Connection Machine, so it's very limited in this respect.

I would like to put, say, an object (e.g., implemented as a higher order
function, or through CLOS) on multiple processors with various internal
states, depending on the processor. The objects would then exchange messages
with one another so that the whole system would evolve in some way. There
are various possible applications of such paradigm to statistical physics,
particles, etc. Are there any programming systems around that would facilitate this kind of programming?

Happy Lisping,
Gustav

--
   Zdzislaw Gustav Meglicki, ······@arp.anu.edu.au,
   Automated Reasoning Program - CISR, and Plasma Theory Group - RSPhysS,

From: Ken Dickey
Subject: Re: Parallel Lisp
······@arp.anu.edu.au (Zdzislaw Meglicki) writes:

>Can anybody direct me to papers about Lisp in parallel?

A good start is:

  _Parallel Lisp: Languages and Systems_, Ito & Halstead, editors,
  Springer Lecture Notes #441, Springer-Verlag, 1990.

Most recent Lisp & Functional Programming proceedings have at least
one paper on parallel LISPs.

-Ken Dickey
From: Paul Frederick Snively
It's also worth pointing, IMHO, to `The Paralation Model' from the MIT Press,
by Gary Sabot.  The Paralation Model is a dirt-simple model for parallelism
that's nicely architecture independent, and the book provides source for a
very simple simulator in Common Lisp.  A complete simulator in Common Lisp is
available from MIT Press, and a true compiler for Paralation Lisp is
apparently available for the Connection Machine, as an alternative to *Lisp,
which I found to be basically impenetrable.

Good luck,
Paul Snively