From: Charles R. Martin
Subject: Appropriate LISP environment for a project
I'm about to do a little prototyping of a "process programming" tool,
and for vrious reasons LISP is a natural language to do it in.  However,
I am not wedded to any particular implementation of LISP, so before I
start off on it I thought I'd ask the experts advice.

Here's what I need --

the input will be a file describing a collection of goals (possibly with
aritrarily deeply nested subgoals), each of which has a completion
criterion.  These goal/completion objects can be thought of for now as
functions that evaluate to a boolean.

These goals will be displayed in some useful format, probably based on a
two-window interface.  one window is goals, and the other window is
workspace for executing appropriate steps to satisfy the goals.

I would like the tool to be relatively portable.  IN particular, I'd
like to to be portable from PCs to workstations.

I've considered

	PC-Scheme
	AKCL	(perhaps with the rumored 386 DOS-extender version)
	XLISP

Can anyone give me any advice on this kind of programming and which
dialect will best suit my needs (cheap, can do these things)?

Thanks for any responses.

--

Charles R. Martin/(Charlie)········@cs.unc.edu/(ne ···@cs.duke.edu)
O/Dept. of Computer Science/CB #3175 UNC-CH/Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175