From: Frank Silbermann
Subject: Little Lisper
Someone mentioned to me that _The Little Lisper_
(by Friedman and Felleisen) has been translated
into Scheme.  Is this true?  If so, how can I find it?
Frank Silbermann	··@cs.tulane.edu
Tulane University	New Orleans, Louisiana  USA

From: Ozan Yigit
Subject: Re: Little Lisper
··@cs.tulane.edu (Frank Silbermann) writes:

   Someone mentioned to me that _The Little Lisper_
   (by Friedman and Felleisen) has been translated
   into Scheme.  Is this true?  If so, how can I find it?

Look for a midsize red paperback with a cute elephant on the cover,
joyfully assembling something with meccano [or whatever it is called
in this continent] pieces, using the little lisper book itself as a
guide [hence a recursive cover art].

bibliographic ref:

%A Daniel P. Friedman
%A Matthias Felleisen
%T The Little LISPer
%I MIT Press
%D 1987
%O Trade Edition, ISBN 0-262-56038-0

enjoy...	oz
---
EOPL:Deep concepts are only absorbed with | electric:   ··@sis.yorku.ca
active participation. Their power must be | alt:      ··@nexus.yorku.ca
experienced, not passively viewed.        | phone: 416 736 2100 x 33976
From: Richard A. O'Keefe
In article <················@ursa.sis.yorku.ca>, ··@ursa.sis.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) writes:
> ··@cs.tulane.edu (Frank Silbermann) writes:
>
>    Someone mentioned to me that _The Little Lisper_
>    (by Friedman and Felleisen) has been translated
>    into Scheme.  Is this true?  If so, how can I find it?
>
> Look for a midsize red paperback with a cute elephant on the cover,

I suspect that this misses the point of the question.  If I'm right,
the answer to the _real_ question is
	"The Little LISPer" didn't need translating into Scheme,
	it already _was_ (more or less) in Scheme.
Basically, it presents a hybrid dialect which is very close to Scheme,
with footnotes telling you what you have to do to get pure Scheme or
pure Common Lisp.  I recommended it in a Scheme class this year and
none of the students had any trouble with it.  (My lectures, now,
that's another story...)

--
I am writing a book on debugging aimed at 1st & 2nd year CS students using
C/Modula/Pascal-like languages.  Please send suggestions (other than "you
From: Brent W. Benson Jr.
··@cs.tulane.edu (Frank Silbermann) writes:
fs>
fs> Someone mentioned to me that _The Little Lisper_
fs> (by Friedman and Felleisen) has been translated
fs> into Scheme.  Is this true?  If so, how can I find it?

Daniel P. Friedman, Matthias Felleisen.  The Little LISPer.  The MIT
Press.  1987.

--
Brent Benson				···@cs.unh.edu
Department of Computer Science  	603-862-3786
From: Kent Sandvik
In article <······················@cs.tulane.edu>, ··@cs.tulane.edu (Frank
Silbermann) writes:

> Someone mentioned to me that _The Little Lisper_
> (by Friedman and Felleisen) has been translated
> into Scheme.  Is this true?  If so, how can I find it?

Sorry, but wasn't the book originally written with Scheme
examples (my book is back home, so I can't verify this).

I've seem people asking for the book in Common Lisp style instead,
but that's a very heretical wish.
--
                                              Cheers, Kent

From: Steve Ford
The first edition of the Little Lisper was published in 1974, which predates
both Scheme (barely) and Common Lisp.  The dialect used in the first edition is
probably closest to Lisp 1.5 and the second edition is closest to Scheme, but
the purpose of both was to introduce non-programmer college students to
recursion as a problem solving technique via an enjoyable introduction to Lisp,
rather that to be Lisp reference manuals.

I was introduced to Lisp in Indiana by Dan Friedman and the Little Lisper, an
experience I highly recommend.

The original poster, I believe, was interested in teaching programming to his
six and eight year olds.  The Little Lisper sounded like a good fit to me, too,
but my eight year old can't handle the vocabulary.  Maybe in a couple of years.
However, if someone were to do an electronic version aimed at kids, say "The
Little Lisper Handheld Video Game", well, $$$$$$.

Dan?

Steve Ford
Texas Instruments                   Net: ····@csc.ti.com
Computer Science Laboratory         Tel: (214) 995-0780
P.O. Box 655474, M/S 238            Fax: (214) 995-0304
Dallas, TX 75265                    MSG: SFRD

From: Leonardo Garrido Luna
··@cs.tulane.edu (Frank Silbermann) writes:

>Someone mentioned to me that _The Little Lisper_
>(by Friedman and Felleisen) has been translated
>into Scheme.  Is this true?  If so, how can I find it?

I read the last The Little Lisper edition and I typed all the examples
in MacScheme ... the result: all of them worked very well !!!
And I remember that I read in the introductory stuff of the book that
the examples had been typed in Scheme ...

Leonardo.