From: Brian Kendig
Subject: Is there any Lisp code available on the net to parse sentences?
I realize this is probably a pipe dream, because it's been the subject
of an awful lot of work already, but: has anyone written any sort of
natural-language parser and made it available on the net?  That is,
Lisp code that can take a sentence such as "John gives Mary the ball"
and figure out that the subject is "John", the verb is "give", the
direct object is "the ball", and the indirect object is "Mary"?

I'd be interested in using it in an AI program I'm writing.  Even
ideas from people who have attempted this before would be useful, in
case (read: when) I decide to write such a package on my own.

I doubt that such a thing would be available, but the net's surprised
me before...

(btw, thanks to everyone for helping me with my simple Lisp problems. ;)

     << Brian >>

From: William Fitzgerald
········@light.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
> I realize this is probably a pipe dream, because it's been the subject
> of an awful lot of work already, but: has anyone written any sort of
> natural-language parser and made it available on the net?  That is,
> Lisp code that can take a sentence such as "John gives Mary the ball"
> and figure out that the subject is "John", the verb is "give", the
> direct object is "the ball", and the indirect object is "Mary"?

You will want to check out the Lisp FAQ files; code for parsing and
references can be found there.  Check out Schank & Riesbeck's Inside
Case-Based Reasoning book (code for which can be obtained at a site
listed in the FAQ) for how to figure out more than just syntactic
information; also Peter Norvig's AI Introduction has several lucid chapters
on natural language parsing; his code is also available.

You'll find, I think, that you need to know what you want to do
parsing for; and it may be that the knowledge representation issues will
be the more difficult problem.  Good luck.
From: Michael Wirth
Also check out the book, "Natural Language Processing in LISP: An Introduction
to Computational Linguistics," by Gerald Gazdar and Chris Mellish, Addison-
Wesley Publishing Co., 1989.  The code is "available as part of the Sussex
University POPLOG distribution (from Version 14)," according to the preface,
or directly from the authors via Internet.

I got the book and the code, but haven't had a chance to really evaluate either.

Mike Wirth
17519 Hidden Forest Circle
Spring, TX   77379
(713) 370-2965 (office)