From: Brent W. Benson Jr.
Subject: Re: LISP for children?
·········@titan.ksc.nasa.gov (mcroberts) writes:

     I'd like to teach my eight year old son some programming.
      ... My second choice is lisp.

I replied:

    I would recommend using Scheme ...

······@frlv.bull.fr (Alain.Fajner) then responded:

    Don't you think that it would be a little bit difficult for an
    eight year old to learn LISP programming ???

    I think that it would be more likely to begin by not teaching
    him a functional programming language...

    What about Pascal ??

Ooooof!  Sorry, that just knocked the wind out of me...what is this,
comp.lang.pascal?  1972?  Twilight zone?  I need air :-).
--
Brent Benson				···@cs.unh.edu
Department of Computer Science  	603-862-3786
From: Rolf Lindgren
	[Pascal and scheme suggested.]

Whatever happened to Logo?

Actually, I'd suggest you _not_ teach 7- or 8-year old kids to program,
and teach them reading, writing, mountain hiking and football instead
(alternatives are OK if you get my idea) , and let them play with other
kids as much as possible.

Pascal is more difficult than scheme. The fact that scheme is more
powerful in certain repects does not make it more difficult to learn.
Scheme is better than Pascal as a pedagogical tool because you get instant
feedback, and because there's a lot of bad programming practices that
scheme doesn't let you learn.

But LOGO might be more ideal because the feedback is much more lucid.

--
       Rolf Lindgren           |       "The opinions expressed above are
       616 Bjerke Studentheim  |        not necessarily those of anyone"