From: Brian Kendig
Subject: (sleep 4) in Lucid on a Sun sleeps 4000000 seconds?!
I'm having a small problem with a program I'm writing -- my Sun seems
to doze off for quite a while longer than I told it to!

Here's the situation.  Steele's _Common Lisp_ says that "(sleep n)
causes execution to cease and become dormant for approximately n
seconds of real time."  When I enter (sleep 4), it pauses for four
seconds.  No problem.

So I put it into a function: (defun wait null (sleep 4)).  Now typing
(wait) by itself stops things for four seconds, all well and good.

So I call (wait) in a larger Lisp program.  Suddenly, a call to (wait)
makes the whole works stop indefinitely.

I control-C it, and get:

	>>Break: Keyboard interrupt

	LUCID:%SLEEP:
	   Required arg 0 (TIME): 4000000

That many seconds is over 46 days!

Is it me, or is the SPARC-2 I'm using (running SunOS 4.1 something)
just messed up somehow?  Is there something I'm missing, here?

Any help would be appreciated.  :)

     << Brian >>

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: (sleep 4) in Lucid on a Sun sleeps 4000000 seconds?!
In article <······················@Princeton.EDU> ········@shade.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>So I put it into a function: (defun wait null (sleep 4)).  Now typing
>(wait) by itself stops things for four seconds, all well and good.
>
>So I call (wait) in a larger Lisp program.  Suddenly, a call to (wait)
>makes the whole works stop indefinitely.

We noticed the same thing in one of our programs.  Call Lucid and get the
patch for bug-5841.

>I control-C it, and get:
>
>	>>Break: Keyboard interrupt
>
>	LUCID:%SLEEP:
>	   Required arg 0 (TIME): 4000000
>
>That many seconds is over 46 days!

Note that the function is %SLEEP, not SLEEP.  %SLEEP's argument is
microseconds.

By the way, in your message you gave the SunOS release; since you're
complaining about Lucid, you should also have mentioned the Lucid version.