From: Tom Zheng
Subject: Install GINA on SUNs(SGI, HP?)
I just got the CLM/GINA from export.lcs.mit.edu.  I like to compile
it for our sparcs here.  I also got PCL from Xerox.  I have CLX
and AKCL 615 on hand and Sun Common Lisp.  Before I put myself into that
total 5meg+ codes, I like to ask people on the net,

	- Can CLM/GINA can be compiled with above resources?
	- Has someone tried and successed?  If it's true, could you
	  share some of your experience on compiling CLM/GINA?

You may reply to either the newsgroup or this account.  I can post
a summary if there are enough requests.

Tom Zheng
--                                                                        --
-- ······@cs.purdue.edu    Staff Programmer   CS Dept., Purdue University --
From: Thomas Berlage
Subject: Re: Install GINA on SUNs(SGI, HP?)
······@eros.cs.purdue.edu (Tom Zheng) writes:

>I just got the CLM/GINA from export.lcs.mit.edu.  I like to compile
>it for our sparcs here.  I also got PCL from Xerox.  I have CLX
>and AKCL 615 on hand and Sun Common Lisp.  Before I put myself into that
>total 5meg+ codes, I like to ask people on the net,

>	- Can CLM/GINA can be compiled with above resources?

You did not mention whether you have Motif. OSF/Motif 1.1 is required for
GINA, and you must buy it separately for Suns. Sun Common Lisp (aka Lucid)
is directly supported. If you have the 3.0 version, you need PCL, the 4.0
version has CLOS built-in. The 3.0 version should work, although we haven't
explicitly tested it any more for our latest release 2.1. For serious work we
recommend switching to Lucid 4.0. AKCL will not work.

>	- Has someone tried and successed?  If it's true, could you
>	  share some of your experience on compiling CLM/GINA?

Yes, we have even developed it :-) Our "reference systems" are Sparcs with
either Allegro 4.0 or Lucid 4.0 (as well as some leftover Symbolicses with
Genera 8). We work on CMU CL, which is giving us some problems because we
heavily use leightweight Lisp processes (expect a release some time this
year, CLM is already working thanks to the people at CMU).

The subject mentions some other machines. We are confident that GINA also
runs on DECstations, HPs, and SGI machines, although we haven't tested it
ourselves (we have received some positive reports, though). RS/6000s
should also work, but GINA has some problems with the ancient Motif 1.0
that IBM delivers with the machine.

Direct any inquiries about GINA to ··················@gmdzi.gmd.de, as some
of us will be on holidays during the next month.

Thomas Berlage (·······@gmdzi.gmd.de)
GMD (German National Research Center for Computer Science)
P.O. Box 1316, 5205 Sankt Augustin 1, Germany