From: Karl Sierka
Subject: Re: Current directory
   "Kostruba" == Kostruba  ····@ucsb.edu (Kostruba) writes:

Kostruba> Is there a way to get the current directory name from withing a Lisp program?

Kostruba> ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Kostruba> ····@cs.ucsb.edu
Kostruba> ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

	How about using truename, and feature select on the operating
    system, to get the string needed for the current directory...

	This function works in Allegro 3.1 and in AKCL 609, on my NeXT and
    on a Sun.  Also in CMU CL 15e on the Sun. I don't have access to any
    other os'es to check it out on. It might be all you need. You have to be
    careful with the "./", at least with AKCL, since just passing in "."
    turns the result into a pathname that is not the same as Allegro or CMU
    CL. (AKCL does not return the trailing slash...)  I don't know who is
    right. PS, I don't know lisp, so please tell me what I am missing here.

(defun my-cwd ()
	(truename #+unix "./" #+vms  "[]"))

--
Karl F. Sierka					L a b y r i n t h
Senior Software Consultant			Computer Services
From: Barry Margolin
In article <·························@amaze.Labyrinth.com> ···········@Labyrinth.com (Karl Sierka) writes:
>Kostruba> Is there a way to get the current directory name from withing a Lisp program?

>	How about using truename, and feature select on the operating
>    system, to get the string needed for the current directory...

>	(truename #+unix "./" #+vms  "[]"))

In Common Lisp, pathnames are merged with the pathname in
*DEFAULT-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS*.  So the above will return the truename of that
default, not the Unix working directory.