From: Bryan M Kramer
Subject: Harlequin's LispWorks
I am interested in opinions of Harlequin's LispWorks, especially in
the following areas:
a) reliability
b) adherence to the common lisp standard
c) performance (especially on SPARC), image size
d) quality of CLOS implementation (especially adherence to standard)
e) quality of garbage collection and multi-threading extensions.

The discussions on this group usually mention Allegro or Lucid, which
seems to imply that these two dominate the market. Is this true? If so
are there technical (as opposed to market and marketing factors) for
the situation.

I will summarize if appropriate.

Thanks

|Bryan M. Kramer	      416-978-7330, fax 416-978-1455|
|Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto      |
|6 King's College Road, Room 283E			    |
|Toronto, Ontario, Canada      M5S 1A4                      |
From: Wayne Peterson
Subject: Re: Harlequin's LispWorks
>I am interested in opinions of Harlequin's LispWorks, especially in
>the following areas:
>a) reliability
>b) adherence to the common lisp standard
>c) performance (especially on SPARC), image size
>d) quality of CLOS implementation (especially adherence to standard)
>e) quality of garbage collection and multi-threading extensions.
>Thanks

>|Bryan M. Kramer

Without going into a thourough analysis, I would say:

a) It is 90% reliable, there is some problems with
   the Xwindows environment (Is Xwindows reliable?)

b) It excedes the standard (and adheres), especially with
   Prolog included.

c) It runs fast, (no metrics) the problem seems to be with
   the windowing,  I found it to run faster in motif than
   Openlook, and much faster with 40megs of RAM.

d) No problems that I have found.

e) GC is configurable, multithreading processes works find, but
   they are lightweight processes.

f) In all I am quite impressed with the environment.  I feel
   that it provides me with the tools and the performance
   I want.  The big plus for me however is the seamless
   addition of KnowledgeWorks for adding rules.

Sincerely,
Wayne Peterson
ATSD, Honeywell, Phoenix