From: Liyi Hu
Subject: DB & Lisp connection software requested
Hi, everyone. We are developing an expert system which wants to use a
relational database management system (ORACLE) as a front-end
processor for raw data.  The expert system is written in Lisp.  So we
need a relational database interface program for Lisp which can enable
us to access DB from within Lisp.  The mimimun requirements are

1) We can send SQL Select command (as a string) from Lisp to DB, and
get the result returned as a Lisp list (so that it can be easily used
by Lisp).

2) We can send other SQL commands to DB to update te database.

Is there any RELIABLE program developed for this, public domain or
commercial?  Any information relevant to this is highly appreciated.

Liyi Hu
---------
PS. This message is cross-posted to comp.databases and comp.lang.lisp.

From: Jason Trenouth
Subject: Re: DB & Lisp connection software requested

Liyi> Hi, everyone. We are developing an expert system which wants to use a
Liyi> relational database management system (ORACLE) as a front-end
Liyi> processor for raw data.  The expert system is written in Lisp.  So we
Liyi> need a relational database interface program for Lisp which can enable
Liyi> us to access DB from within Lisp.  The mimimun requirements are

Liyi> 1) We can send SQL Select command (as a string) from Lisp to DB, and
Liyi> get the result returned as a Lisp list (so that it can be easily used
Liyi> by Lisp).

Liyi> 2) We can send other SQL commands to DB to update te database.

Liyi> Is there any RELIABLE program developed for this, public domain or
Liyi> commercial?  Any information relevant to this is highly appreciated.

Harlequin's LispWorks* includes an SQL interface that currently
supports Oracle, Ingres, Informix, and Utrix/SQL.

The SQL interface allows:

	- direct use of standard SQL statements as strings

	- mixed symbolic SQL / Common Lisp expressions; and

	- implicit invocation when initializing or accessing CLOS objects

The relational data is returned in Lisp lists.

For more information contact:

	·················@harlqn.co.uk

From: Michael Clarkson <····@cmm.ensmp.fr>
In article <·····@venera.isi.edu> ···@isi.edu (Liyi Hu) writes:

   Hi, everyone. We are developing an expert system which wants to use a
   relational database management system (ORACLE) as a front-end
   processor for raw data.  The expert system is written in Lisp.  So we
   need a relational database interface program for Lisp which can enable
   us to access DB from within Lisp.  The mimimun requirements are

   1) We can send SQL Select command (as a string) from Lisp to DB, and
   get the result returned as a Lisp list (so that it can be easily used
   by Lisp).

   2) We can send other SQL commands to DB to update te database.

Check out the Postgres/Picasso combination available by anon ftp
from postgres.berkeley.edu.  It's not formally SQL, but is a very
nice implementation of this, using CLOS slots as a front-end to database
accesses.

Mike.
--
Mike Clarkson					····@apl.ists.ca