From: John Sambrook
Dear Fellow Lisp Users:

Is there any interest in a mailing list to help Lisp programmers find
Lisp programming jobs, and vice-versa?  If there is, I would be happy
to create and manage the list.  If someone else would rather do it,
that would be fine too.

I envision the list working as follows:

    1.  Persons interested in Lisp programming jobs (of any kind)
    	would send mail to ·················@amc.com asking to be
    	added to the list.

    2.  Persons with Lisp programming jobs to be staffed could send
    	mail to ·········@amc.com describing the job.  Interested
    	parties could then reply directly to the sender to apply for
    	the job.

I'm not a headhunter -- I'm a software engineer who has been using
(Common) Lisp for several years to develop program prototypes.  I
would like to do what I can to contribute to the use of Lisp, and this
seems like a good way for me to contribute something.

I would appreciate your input on this modest proposal.

--
John Sambrook                             DNS: ····@amc.com
Applied Microsystems Corporation	 UUCP: amc-gw!john

From: Richard Lynch
In article <······················@amc.com> ····@amc.com (John Sambrook) writes:
>Dear Fellow Lisp Users:
>
>Is there any interest in a mailing list to help Lisp programmers find
>Lisp programming jobs, and vice-versa?  If there is, I would be happy

I'm not looking right now, but I may be in a couple years, and I definitely
was two years ago.
I'd have killed for such a thing two years ago...'Course, I didn't have net
access back then, or even know the net existed.

--
"TANSTAAFL"     ·····@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu
From: Randy Crawford
writes:
> Dear Fellow Lisp Users:
>
> Is there any interest in a mailing list to help Lisp programmers find
> Lisp programming jobs, and vice-versa?  If there is, I would be happy
> to create and manage the list.  If someone else would rather do it,
> that would be fine too.

I suggest that you expand the list to include not only Lisp jobs, but also
those using Scheme and other functional PLs.

I suspect you'd also get plenty of interest for adding AI-related job
announcements to the list.

A pure Lisp list is likely to afford the room for related offerings.

From: John Sambrook
In article <····················@linus.mitre.org> ········@church.mitre.org (Randy Crawford) writes:

> I suggest that you expand the list to include not only Lisp jobs, but also
> those using Scheme and other functional PLs.
>
> I suspect you'd also get plenty of interest for adding AI-related job
> announcements to the list.
>
> A pure Lisp list is likely to afford the room for related offerings.

I'm working on a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) message for LISP-JOBS.
One of the questions I have anticipated concerns this very issue:

    6. Can only ``Lisp'' jobs be posted?

       As far as I am concerned any job involving Lisp or a Lisp-like
       language is fair game for this list.  I certainly do not intend
       to have to decide what is appropriate and what is not.

       All uses of the word ``Lisp'' within this message should be
       understood to mean ``Lisp or a Lisp-like language.''

I think that the most effective moderator for what is appropriate and
what is not is peer-pressure itself.  However, I would prefer that the
list not degenerate into just another misc.jobs.offered.

As regards the LISP-JOBS list itself, we now have more than 35 members
on the list and have had one announcement of two available Lisp jobs.

If you would like to join the LISP-JOBS mailing list please send mail
to ·················@amc.com and I will add you to the list.

Finally, I would appreciate it if everyone would spread the word about
the LISP-JOBS mailing list.  In particular, anything you can do to
communicate information about LISP-JOBS to organizations using Lisp
would be appreciated.

From: John Richards
In article <······················@amc.com> ····@amc.com (John Sambrook) writes:
>Dear Fellow Lisp Users:
>
>Is there any interest in a mailing list to help Lisp programmers find
>Lisp programming jobs, and vice-versa?  If there is, I would be happy
>to create and manage the list.  If someone else would rather do it,
>that would be fine too.
>
>   [details deleted.]
>
>I would appreciate your input on this modest proposal.

Now this is what I call a good idea. When I next need to look for a job I would
like  to have this sort of facility available. If you have the facilities to
set it up please do so - and post to the net so we can all subscribe to the
mailing lists.

Bye,

John.
John Richards                          | email :  ·····@mips.nott.ac.uk
Dept. of Chemical Engineering          |       :  ·····@unicorn.nott.ac.uk
Nottingham University                  | tel   :  (0602) 484848 x2956
Nottingham, NG7 2RD                    | fax   :  (0602) 790239