From: Raymond Lang
Subject: CLX novice needs help
I'm beginning to experiment a little with the CLX that comes with
cmucl 16d (CLX X Library MIT R5.0), and I'm having a little trouble.

First of all, the sample CLX code that comes with the cmucl
distribution doesn't work at all. Each demo just puts up an empty
window, immediately erases it and then crashes with something similar
to:

Asynchronous MATCH-ERROR in request 11 (last request was 5021)  Code 72.0 [PutImage]

Restarts:
  0: [CONTINUE] Ignore
  1: [ABORT   ] Return to Top-Level.

Debug  (type H for help)

(XLIB::READ-ERROR-INPUT #<XLIB:DISPLAY clones:0 (MIT X Consortium R4)>
                        11
                        #S(XLIB::REPLY-BUFFER
                             :SIZE 32
                             :IBUF8 #
                             :NEXT #
                             :DATA-SIZE 32)
                        (NIL))
0]

ignoring the error just leads to an identical error with an
incremented request number.

Secondly, the code in the intro chapter of the CLX programmer's
reference is incomplete. The functions "menu-highlight-item",
"menu-unhighlight-item", and "menu-present" are not given, and being a
complete novice at this, I don't know enough to fill in these gaps.

So, if anyone can point me to some sample CLX code that works under
cmucl 16d, or has the definitions for these missing functions, or
otherwise has references to sources I can use to learn CLX, I'd be
very grateful if you'd contact me.

Thanks in advance.

Ray Lang
ยทยทยทยท@cs.tulane.edu