From: ············@cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: some question about cmulisp
·······@camphor.kuee.kyoto-u.ac.jp (Pongsak MAHACHOKLERTWATTANA) writes:
> I am using cmulisp ver.16d.
> Can anyone tell me about some following questions?

I can try.

> 1.How to put the unix standard output (or standard input)
>   into array? I tried run "unix::run-program" and I succeeded.
>   But I don't know how to get the output to use in Lisp function.

For the :input, :output, and :error keywords to run-program you can
supply (among other things) a stream or the keyword :stream.  If you
supply a stream, input will be read from that stream and output will
be sent to that stream (depending on what you used it for).  If you
supply :stream, it will create a stream that you can then write to to
supply input and read from to look at the output.

For example:

	(let ((stream (make-string-output-stream)))
	  (ext:run-program "/bin/ls" nil :output stream)
	  (get-output-stream-string stream))

Will return the results of /bin/ls as a string.

> 2.Where can I get the CATALOG.TXT and READ-ME.TXT(which are writed
>   on Page 18-19 of the CMU Common Lisp User's Manual)?

All files that are part of cmucl can be obtained via anonymous FTP
from any cmu machine.  We recommend using on of the following:

	ftp.cs.cmu.edu [128.2.206.173]
	lisp-rt1.slisp.cs.cmu.edu [128.2.217.9]
	lisp-rt2.slisp.cs.cmu.edu [128.2.217.10]

Log in as ``anonymous'' and use your email address for the password.
Then ``cd'' to the directory:

	/afs/cs/project/clisp/release

Note: you have to cd to that directory in one atomic cd command.  Once
there, you can get the files ``FILES'' and ``README'' which will
explain what else is available.

>   I want to get some further information of cmulisp.

Your best bet is to send mail to ··········@cs.  Some of us do read
this newsgroup, but you are much more likely to get a timely response
from cmucl-bugs.

> Thanks for your help in advance.

You are welcome.

>                        ·······@forest.kuee.kyoto-u.ac.jp