From: James Gow
Subject: CFV: comp.lang.logo
 CALL FOR VOTE

 NAME:    comp.lang.logo

 STATUS:  Unmoderated

 CHARTER:

    Comp.lang.logo provides a common ground for discussion of the Logo
    language and its variants, questions about language syntax,
    constructs, algorithms, and use of Logo and like languages for
    educational goals.  be facilitated.  Experiences, lessons learned and
    ``What worked for me'' stories that are posted to this newsgroup would
    allow a broad range of distribution and provide a knowledgeable group
    of contributors for answering questions.  Exchange of Logo programs
    would be facilitated by posting notices of program archives.

    The proposed newsgroup is focused on the Logo approach to education,
    exploration, and programming in Logo.  Areas for discussion include,
    but are not limited to, the following topics:

    *  The Logo Language itself, including how to get started,
    programming questions, resources, and reference materials.

    *  Logo applications and development information including: design
    issues, utilities, experiences with Logo use, new features or
    capabilities [e.g. LEGO/Logo], and implementation issues for interpreter
    developers.  This area would also serve as a focal point for software
    trading, reviews and requests for available packages.

    *  Logo for educational, pedagogical, development or cognitive
    discipline support.

    *  General discussion on the uses of the Logo language for
    education, prototyping, exploratory programming, microworld
    development, tooling, AI-Education topics, classroom experiences and
    research results.

    In addition to topics and general discussion areas already listed,
    examples of questions that have been discussed in other groups that
    are appropriate for comp.lang.logo are:

    *  Why does my school system insist on teaching Logo to only advanced
    students when that was clearly not the goal of the language designers
    and developers?

    *  How can I get my school system to use Logo to replace the
    Electronic Worksheets they are using now?

    *  Anyone want to get a group buy together for LEGO/Logo and see if
    Dacta will give us a group discount?

    *  When and where are the good Logo conferences this year?

    *  Has anyone read the book ``Logo's Good Gnus ''  Is it any good?

    *  Why are there so few microworlds outside the realm of
    mathematics?

    *  How do I get started with Logo for my children at home?

 RATIONALE

    There hasn't been enough traffic on any of the likely groups
    [misc.kids, comp.edu, comp.lang.misc, comp.cog-eng] to recognize the
    need for a Logo group.  Yet, having a dedicated newsgroup would get
    discussions and trading of packages and experiences on the air, thus
    building the volume.  Certainly the level of discussion on the
    Internet about Logo suffers because there is no recognized focal point
    or home for it.

    Having a common ground for exchange of theories, ideas, programs,
    insights, questions, and even war stories should sustain a high enough
    interest level to be worthwhile.  With international connectivity,
    children, other students, teachers, and practitioners could get a
    global perspective on discussions of their activities, concerns,
    developments, and experiments.

 VOTING:

    Send all yes votes to:   ········@novavax.nova.edu
    Send all no votes to:    ·······@novavax.nova.edu

   Your message should include (preferably in the header) either:

      "YES" and "comp.lang.logo" if you favor creation of the newsgroup

         or

      "NO" and "comp.lang.logo" if you are opposed to newsgroup creation.

   Voting will end at 2359 GMT on 3 July 1992.
--
Linc, James Internet: ····@novavax.nova.edu; UUCP: gatech!uflorida!novavax!gowj
Songs of Solomon 2:12 "...the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."