From: Mike Perkowitz
Subject: clm & unexpected error message
okay. i'm back, this time with a real problem.

I am working on an application using clm and need some help
tracking down the following error:

	>>Error: unexpected message: (0)

	XTK::RECEIVE-CALLBACK-OR-EVENT:
   	Keyword arg 2 (ALLOW-CONFIRMATION): T
   	Keyword arg 3 (CALLED-FROM-MAIN-LOOP): NIL

which is then followed immediately by the following message
when aborting to the lisp top level:

	>>Error: xt-send-command failed

	XTK::TOOLKIT-SEND-COMMAND:
   	Required arg 0 (CODE): 29
   	Required arg 1 (SERIAL): 104
   	Required arg 2 (LIST-OF-ARGS): NIL

The application is a simulator which has one main window which serves
as the control panel, and several auxiliary windows which are based
on transient-shell widgets. The simulator processing code is called
from the clm event loop by way of a timer callback. The simulation can
then be started and stopped by enabling or disabling the timer.

As far as I can tell, the above referenced error occurs when
"xtk:quit-application" is called and ONLY when the timer has NOT been
activated and no timer callbacks have been made. If the timer fires even
just once, all is well. The code within the timer callback appears to be
irrelevent.

Are there any known bugs with clm or motif that might be responsible?
What is the connection with the timer?

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

please post or email ···@cs.brown.edu

     No statement made in a signature file is ever correct.
          Mike Perkowitz              ···@cs.brown.edu
From: Thomas Berlage
Subject: Re: clm & unexpected error message
In <······················@cs.brown.edu> ···@cs.brown.edu (Mike Perkowitz) writes:

>okay. i'm back, this time with a real problem.

>I am working on an application using clm and need some help
>tracking down the following error:

>	>>Error: xt-send-command failed

>As far as I can tell, the above referenced error occurs when
>"xtk:quit-application" is called and ONLY when the timer has NOT been
>activated and no timer callbacks have been made. If the timer fires even
>just once, all is well. The code within the timer callback appears to be
>irrelevent.

>Are there any known bugs with clm or motif that might be responsible?
>What is the connection with the timer?

Your error message indicates that the CLM server process has dumped core and
taken the connection with it. There are known problems with destroying certain
Motif widget hierarchies, so you might want to take a look at the core dump
and see where it crashed.

Of course you should make sure that you are using the latest version CLM 2.1.

A timer that has been created in the disabled state should have no effect
because it is just a random data structure in the CLM server. A timeout is
only registered with Xt when the timer is enabled. Maybe the code in the
timer callback is important. If the timer is enabled, you should destroy it
before quitting, but your crash does not seem to occur in this case.

You can contact me directly for any questions about CLM.

Thomas Berlage (·······@gmd.de)
GMD (German National Research Center for Computer Science)
P.O. Box 1316, 5205 Sankt Augustin 1, Germany