From: Stephen Cooper
Subject: Good book for teaching Functional Programming & Lisp
Hello!

  I've written this once, but it didn't seem to get out on the net, so here I go
again.

  I'll be teaching a course in functional programming this autumn, and am looking
for a good course book.

  The current course litterature is Peter Henderson's _Functional Programming,
Application and Implementation_, but the students can hardly afford the book or
justify the price.  Considering that this course is worth only 5 credits (approx
one fourth of a semester) and that not even half of the chapters are covered in
the course, $125 is too expensive.

  I personally am born and raised on Allen's _Anatomy of Lisp_, and think that it
is unsurpassed, but it too costs more than $100  and I can't use even half.

  The course covers basically only functional programming and abstract data
structures, and uses Common Lisp.  Please mail me suggestions about other books
(or even books to stay away from) and I will post a summary, if there is an
interest.  A lisp-like syntax is preferred, but not neccessary.
Stephen Cooper				+46-(0)18-18 10 73 (voice)
Computing Science Dept.			+46-(0)18-52 12 70 (fax)
Uppsala University, Sweden		·······@csd.uu.se
This line is intentionally left blank.