From: Hai Pham
Subject: PD LISP?
Hi, I'm trying to look for a PD version of LISP for UNIX (I am running
DECstations), but haven't been able to find anything - besides GNU EMACS.
I just want a LISP interpreter, not the entire EMACS thing.. Is such a
beast available somewheres by ftp?  (I've tried archie, and it seems that
all the headings under lisp were document files for elisp in the EMACS
package.)

Please respond by email either to this address, or to my home system
address at:  ····@px1.stfx.ca

Thanks for any help you can give.
Hai Pham

From: Steve Lincoln
Subject: Re: PD LISP?
I am very interested in what you find out!  Could you please summarize to the net or mail to me? Thanks.

I can offer three ideas, only the first two of which have I tried:

----

(1) XLISP: I have been using David Betz's Xlisp for many years on a
PC, and I have watched the package mature tremendously.  I like it a
lot for some jobs, although it is not really a commercial development
platform nor is it fully CL. I now have the ported and extended
version from Tom Almy (····@sail.labs.tek.com) with the X/Motif
extensions from Neils Meyer (aka WINTERP) up on a Sun:

Tom Almy's version is on:   glia.biostr.washington.edu
WINTERP is on:              export.lcs.mit.edu

Check out comp.lang.x

----

(2) SCHEME: There are *many* excellent public domain and shareware
scheme-lisp implementations if that will do -- I have been spending
altogether too much time researching the available options and trying
them out myself. Look in comp.lang.scheme, or check out the
scheme-impls file on nexus.yorku.ca in /pub/scheme/doc - it is
somewhat out of date but still a good place to start.  I use
MIT-CScheme on a DECStation, available from altdorf.ai.mit.edu.

-----

(3) KCL: There is KCL/AKCL and the PCL version of CLOS.  I would like
to find out more about these packages and try them out myself.

QUESTION: Anyone know the easy way to do this?

----

Good luck and Thanks.

- Steve Lincoln                                         Whitehead Institute
MIT Center for Genome Research                          9 Cambridge Center
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research             Cambridge, MA  02142
·······@genome.wi.edu, ·······@mitwibr.bitnet           FAX# 617-258-6505
--
Eric K. Olson                                              ·····@genome.wi.edu
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, 9 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA
From: Mark Kantrowitz
Subject: LISPS [was: PD LISP?]
Since the following is probably of interest to a lot of people, I'm posting it
to the net. Please send any corrections to me at ·····@cs.cmu.edu

--mark

;;; ****************************************************************
;;; Lisp Vendors ***************************************************
;;; ****************************************************************

Summary Chart:
Name		Price	IBM PC	MAC	SPARC	IBM RT	RS/6000	PMAX
KCL		Free	yes		yes	yes	yes
XLISP		Free	yes	yes
CMU Common Lisp	Free			yes	yes	yes	yes
MCL		$495		yes
Procyon CL	$2700	yes	yes
Franz Lisp	$99/$199	yes
Allegro CL	$3750			yes		yes	yes
Ibuki CL	$2800	$700		yes	yes	yes	yes
Lucid CL	$4400	$2500		yes	yes	yes	yes
GCLisp		$2250	yes
Star Saphire CL	$100	yes
Software Enginr	$250	yes
CLOE		$625	yes
Top Level CL	$687

C-scheme	free
SIOD		free		yes	yes	yes	yes	yes
Gambit		free
Chez Scheme	$2000			yes	yes	yes	yes
MacScheme	$195		yes
EdScheme	$50	yes	yes

;;; ****************************************************************
;;; Common Lisp ****************************************************
;;; ****************************************************************

Product Name:  	Austin Kyoto Common Lisp (AKCL)
Price:		Free
Files:		Same directory as KCL, files akcl-xxx.tar.Z (highest
		value of xxx)
Runs on:
Product Name:	XLISP
Author:		David Michael Betz, 127 Taylor Road,
		Peterborough, NH 03458
Documentation: 	Reference manual by Tim Mikkelsen.
Source:		cs.orst.edu:/pub/xlisp/	[128.193.32.1]
		or sumex-aim.stanford.edu:info-mac/lang/
Price:		Free.
Version:	2.0 (February 6, 1988)
Runs on:	PC (MSDOS), Amiga (Atari ST), Mac, Unix
Notes:		Version 2.1 can be obtained from
			glia.biostr.washington.edu	128.95.10.115
			bikini.cis.ufl.edu		128.227.224.1
		in the file xlisp21b.zip. It has many bug fixes and
		is closer to Common Lisp. Comes with IBM/PC executables.
		Version 2.1b can be obtained from Tom Almy,
		····@sail.labs.tek.com
Product Name:	CMU Common Lisp
		source-code level debugger, code profiler. X3J13
		compatible. New loop macro.
Source:		Carnegie Mellon University, School of Computer Science
Version:
Price: 		Free
Runs on:	SPARC (Mach and SunOs), DecStation 3100 (Mach), IBM RT (Mach).
System Req.:	16mb RAM, 25mb disk.
Address:
Phone:
FAX:
Email:		···@cs.cmu.edu
Bugs:		··········@cs.cmu.edu
Product Name:	Macintosh Common Lisp (MCL)
AKA:		Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp (MACL), Coral Common Lisp (CCL),
		Pearl Lisp
Runs on:	Apple Macintosh
		generational garbage collection, incremental compiler,
		window-based debugger, source-code stepper, object
		inspector, emacs-style editor, and Macintosh Toolbox interface.
		Foreign function (C) interface.
Source:		APDA (Apple)
Version:	2.0 beta
Price:		$495 (Current users may upgrade for $250)
System Req.:	Mac+ with hard disk, 2.5MB RAM (4MB recommended),
		system software 6.0.4 or later (or A/UX 2.0.1).
Address:	APDA, Apple Computer Inc.,
		20525 Mariani Avenue, MS 33-G,
		Cupertino, CA 95014-6299
Phone:		1-800-282-2732 (US), 1-800-637-0029 (Canada),
		1-408-562-3910
FAX:		1-408-562-3971
TELEX: 		171-576
Email:		····@applelink.apple.com
		send mail to ················@cambridge.apple.com)
Product Name:	Procyon Common Lisp
Source:		Expertelligence
		compilation, foreign function interface, object inspector,
		text editor, debugger and trace.
Version:	2.14b (Macintosh) 3.0b (DOS/Windows)
Price:		$2700
Runs on:	Apple Macintosh, IBM
System Req.:	8mb RAM (Macintosh), 5mb RAM (IBM)
Address:	ExperTelligence, Inc.
		5638 Hollister Ave, Suite 302
		Goleta, CA  93117
Phone:		1-800-828-0113
		(805) 967-1797
Fax:		(805) 964-8448
Email:		·····@applelink.apple.com ?
Alt. Address:	Procyon Research Ltd.
		Block B, Westbrook Centre
		Milton Road
		Cambridge CB4 1YQ, UK
		011 44-223-421221
		011 44-223-65011
		011 44-223-460290 (FAX)
		······@applelink.apple.com
Product Name:	Franz Lisp
Version:	2.0
Runs on:	Apple Macintosh
System Req.:	1mb RAM (interpreter) 2.5mb RAM (compiler)
Price:		$99 (interpreter), $199 (compiler)
Source:		Fort Pont Research
Address:	Fort Pont Research
		15 Fort Pond Road
		Acton, MA 01720
Phone:		1-508-263-9692
Product Name:	Allegro Common Lisp
		incremental compilation, generational garbage collection,
		foreign function interface.
Source:		Franz Inc.
Version: 	4.1
Runs on:	Sparc (also runs on DecStation 3100)
Price: 		$3750
System Req.:	16mb RAM
Address: 	1995 University Avenue
		Berkeley, CA 94704
Phone:		(510) 548-3600   ; was area code 415
FAX:		(510) 548-8253
Telex:		340179 WUPUBTLXSFO
Email:
Bug reports:	····@franz.com
		debugger, inspector, object browser, time/space code
		profiling, and graphical user interface.
		Common LISP Interface Manager (CLIM). Symbolic's
		Dynamic Windows clone.
		Allegro CLIP. Parallel version of Lisp for Sequent.
Product Name:	Ibuki Common Lisp
		Incremental compiler, interpreter, foreign function
		interface. Generates C code from the Lisp and compiles
		it using the local C compiler.
Source:		Ibuki Inc.
Version:
Runs on:	Over 30 platforms, including Sparc, DEC (Ultrix), Apollo,
		HP 9000, IBM RS/6000, Silicon Graphics and IBM PCs.
Price: 		$2800 (workstations), $3500 (servers), $700 (IBM PCs)
System Req.:	4mb RAM
Address: 	Ibuki
		PO Box 1627
		Los Altos, CA 94022
Phone:		(415) 961-4996
FAX:		(415) 961-8016
Email:		@ibuki.com
Product Name:	Lucid Common Lisp
		garbage collection.
Source:		Lucid Inc.
Version:	4.0
Runs on:	PCs (AIX), Apollo, HP, Sun-3, Sparc, IBM RT, IBM RS/6000
		Decstation 3100, Silicon Graphics, Vax.
Price:		$2500 (IBM PCs), $4400 (other platforms)
Address:	707 Laurel Street
		Menlo Park, CA 94025
Phone:		(415) 329-8400. In CA: 800-225-1386 Outside CA: 800-843-4204
FAX:		(415) 329-8480
Email:		················@lucid.com
Product Name:	Golden Common Lisp (GCLisp)
		interactive debugger, emacs-like editor. Supports DDE
		and other Windows stuff. CLtL1 compatible.
Runs on:	IBM (Windows 3.0)
Price:		DOS $2K ($250 extra for Gold Hill Windows)
System Req.:	4mb RAM
Source:		Gold Hill Computers
Address:	26 Landsdowne Street
		Cambridge, MA 02139
Phone:		(617) 621-3300
Misc:		See review in PC-WEEK 4/1/91 comparing GCLisp with an
		old verion of Macintosh CL.
Product Name:	Star Sapphire Commong LISP
Source:		Sapiens Software Corporation
Runs on:	IBM (DOS)
Version:	3.2
Price:		$99.95
System Req.:	640kb RAM.
Address:	PO Box 3365
		Santa Cruz, CA 95063-3365
Phone: 		(408) 458-1990
FAX:		(408) 425-0905
Product Name:	Software Engineer (Lisp for Windows)
Source:		Raindrop Software
Version:	2.0
		but includes CLOS.
Price: 		$250
System Req.:	2mb RAM. Can use up to 16mb of memory. Generates 286 specific
		code.
Address:	833 Arapaho, Suite 104; was 845 Arapaho Rd., Suite 105
		Richardson, TX 75081
Phone:		(214) 234-2611
FAX:		(214) 234-2674
Product Name:	CLOE (Common Lisp Operating Environment)
Source:		Symbolics
		Genera. Includes CLOS, condition error system,
		generational garbage collection, incremental compilation,
		code time/space profiling, stack-frame debugger.
Version:	3.1
Runs on:	DOS (Windows)
Price:		$625-$4k
System Req.:	4-8mb RAM
Address:	8 New England Executive Park
		Burlington, MA 01803
Phone:		1-800-533-SMBX
FAX:		(617) 221-1099
Product Name:	Top Level Common Lisp
Source:		Top Level
		foreign function interface, object inspector.
Version:	2.0
Runs on:	UNIX
Price:		$687
System Req.:	8mb RAM
Address:	100 University Drive
		Amherst, MA 01002
Phone:		(413) 549-4455
FAX:		(413) 549-4910
Product Name:	Harlequin
Source:		Harlequin Limited
Address:	Barrington Hall
		Barrington
		Cambridge
		CB2 5RG
Phone:		0223 872522 (or 44223 872522 outside UK)
		Telex 818440 harlqn g
FAX: 		0223 872519
Email:		··@uk.co.harlqn (or ··@harlqn.co.uk for US people)

Miscellaneous:
	Symbolics MacIvory board
	TI MicroExplorer board
  	LeLisp (Inria in France),
	PC-LISP 3.0 (lisp interpreter, free),
	MIT Scheme, T3.1
Notes:
	Sun Microsystems markets Lucid Common Lisp under the Sun name ``Sun
	Common Lisp''. This agreement seems to be ending, so there may
	soon be a variety of Lucid products available directly for
	Sun systems.

;;; ****************************************************************
;;; Scheme *********************************************************
;;; ****************************************************************
Product Name:	C-Scheme
Price: 		Free
Source:		Anonymous ftp from altdorf.ai.mit.edu [18.43.0.246].
Runs on:
Product Name:	SIOD (Scheme in One Defun)
Price:		Free
Source:		bu.edu:users/gjc/siod-v2.4-shar [128.197.2.6]
Version:	2.4
Runs on:	VAX/VMS, VAX UNIX, Sun3, Sun4, Amiga, Macintosh, MIPS, Cray.
Product Name:	Gambit
		Scheme standard and `future' construct.
Source:		Anonymous ftp from acorn.cs.brandeis.edu:/dist [129.64.3.8]
Version:	1.5
Runs on:	The current release has a back end which generates
		M68020 code that runs on M680x0 based unix machines
		(SUN3, HP300, BBN GP1000, etc).
Email:		······@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Marc Feeley)
Product Name:	Chez Scheme
		Scheme programming language. Incremental compiler,
		object inspector, foreign function interface.
Source:		Cadence Research Systems
Version: 	4.0
Runs on:	Sparc and Sun-3 (SunOs), Vax and DecStation (Ultrix),
		NeXT.
Price: 		$2K.
System Req.:	4-8mb RAM.
Address: 	620 Park Ridge Road
		Bloomington, IN 47408
Phone:		(812) 333-9269
FAX:		(812) 332-4688
Email:
Product Name:	MacScheme
Source:		Lightship Software
Version: 	2.1
Price: 		Scheme Express (interpreter only) $70
		MacScheme (includes compiler) $125
System Req.:	1mb RAM
Address: 	PO Box 1636
		Beaverton, OR 97075
Phone:		(503) 292-8765
FAX:
Email:
Product Name:	EdScheme
Version:	3.4
Runs on:	Macintosh, DOS and Atari Amiga
Price:		$50
System Req.:	1mb RAM
Source:		Schemers Inc
Address:	4250 Galt Ocean Mile, Suite 7U
		Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308
Phone:		(305) 776-7376
FAX:		(305) 749-3541
Product Name:	Scheme->C
		by the native C compiler for the target machine.
Available:	The system is available for anonymous ftp from
		gatekeeper.dec.com [16.1.0.2] in /pub/DEC/Scheme-to-C.

Those files include:
        23feb90.tar.Z           initial release
        28sep90.tar.Z           2nd release
        APOLLO.patches          Apollo patches for 23feb90 system
        MCC-28sep90.patches     patches for Sun3, Sun4, DNx500, DN1000 and 386
                                processors for the 28sep90 system
        NeXT+MCC-28sep90.patches
                                patches for NeXT processors for the 28sep90
                                system
        README                  this file
        REC-28sep90.patches     patches for Sun4 and 386 processors for the
                                28sep90 system
        SPARC-386.patches       SPARC and 386 patches for 23feb90 system
        SONY-28sep90.patches    Sony News 3200 patches for 28sep90 system
        SUN3.patches            SUN 3 patches for 23feb90 system
Peter Norvig's book "Paradigms of AI Programming" has a chapters about
Scheme interpreters and compilers, both written in Common Lisp. The
software from the book is available by anonymous ftp from
unix.sri.com:pub/norvig and on disk in Macintosh or DOS format from
the publisher, Morgan Kaufmann.

For more information, contact:

	Morgan Kaufmann, Dept. P1
	2929 Campus Drive, Suite 260
	San Mateo CA 94403

	Toll free tel: (800) 745-7323; FAX: (415) 578-0672
Runs in:	Sun (Lucid) Common Lisp. Tested in Symbolics CL, VAX
		LISP under VMS, Explorer CL. Should be easy to port.

;;; ********************************
;;; Lisp-to-C Translation **********
;;; ********************************
Product Name:	Lisp-to-C Translator
Source:		Chestnut Software, Inc.
Version: 	3.0
Price: 		$12K.
System Req.:
Address: 	636 Beacon Street
		Boston, MA 02215
Phone:		(617) 262-0914
FAX:		(617) 536-6469
Email:

;;; ********************************
;;; Lisp/Prolog ********************
;;; ********************************
Product Name:	Poplog Common LISP
Source:		Computable Functions, Inc.
Version: 	13.6
Price: 		Unix $749
		Sparc $4500
		Macintosh (A/UX) $749
		VAX (VMS) $4500
System Req.:	8mb RAM
Address: 	35 South Orchard Drive
		Amherst, MA 01002
Phone:		(413) 253-7637
FAX:		(413) 545-1249
Email:

;;; ********************************
;;; Prolog *************************
;;; ********************************
Product Name:	AAIS Prolog
Source:		Advanced AI Systems
Version: 	M-2.0J
Price: 		$298
System Req.:	2mb RAM
Address: 	PO Box 39-0360
		Mountain View, CA 94039-0360
Phone:		(415) 948-8658
FAX:		(415) 948-2486
Product Name:	ALS Prolog
Source:		Applied Logic Systems
Version: 	1.2
Price: 		$499
Runs on:	Macintosh, IBM (DOS)
System Req.:	4mb RAM
Address: 	PO Box 90
		University Station
		Syracuse, NY 13210
Phone:		(315) 471-3900
FAX:		(315) 471-2606
Product Name:	Arity Prolog
Source:		Arity Corporation
Version: 	6.0
Runs on:	DOS
Price: 		$650 ($350 extra for Windows Toolkit)
System Req.:	640K RAM
Address: 	29 Domino Drive
		Concord, MA 01742
Phone:		(508) 371-1243, 1-800-722-7489
FAX:		(508) 371-1487
Product Name:	Quintus Prolog, MacProlog
Source:		Quintus Corporation
Runs on:	DOS, Macintosh, Unix (X-Windows), Sun-3, Sparc, VAX,
		HP 9000, Apollo, RS/6000, MIPS.
Version: 	3.1
Price: 		DOS, Macintosh $595 (run-time generator $495),
		Workstations $10K
System Req.:	1mb RAM
Address: 	2100 Geng Road
		Palo Alto, CA 94303
Phone:		(415) 813-3800
FAX:		(415) 494-7608
Miscellaneous:
	Prolog interpreters written in Lisp include:
		o  The Frolic package from the University of Utah.
		   Available via ftp from cs.utah.edu:pub/frolic.tar.Z
		   Written in Common Lisp.
		o  The Prolog package from the University of Calgary.
		   Available via ftp from
			cpsc.ucalgary.ca:pub/prolog1.1/prolog11.tar.Z
		   Written in Scheme and has support for delayed goals
		   and interval arithmetic. Relies on continuations,
		   and so not easily ported to Common Lisp.
		o  A prolog interpreter for Chez Scheme available
		   from titan.rice.edu:public/slog.sh
		o  LM-PROLOG by Ken Kahn and Mats Carlsson.
		   Available from sics.se:archives/lm-prolog.tar.Z.
		   Written in Zetalisp and not easily portable to
		   Common Lisp.

;;; ********************************
;;; Template ***********************
;;; ********************************