From: ···@sef-pmax.slisp.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: Power Of Lisp Competition
This is silly and counter-productive.  "Power per line" is not a
useful way to measure the quality of a programming language or the
cleverness of a programmer.  If it were, APL would have conquered the
world, and FORMAT would be everyone's favorite part of Common Lisp.

How much a good programmer can get done in a day (or a month, if you
prefer) is a much more interesting question.  How hard it is to change
something a year later is even more interesting.

-- Scott
Scott E. Fahlman
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Internet: ····@cs.cmu.edu
From: Paul Williams
···@sef-pmax.slisp.cs.cmu.edu writes:

> This is silly and counter-productive.  "Power per line" is not a
> useful way to measure the quality of a programming language or the
> cleverness of a programmer.  If it were, APL would have conquered the
> world, and FORMAT would be everyone's favorite part of Common Lisp.

  It  is  no  more  silly or  counter productive  than the  obfuscated C
  contect...  It amuses and is fairly interesting...

  Perhaps an  obfuscated LISP  contest shold  be handled  in parallel...
  This  in  no  way  implicates  me  to handle  it, I  admit to  lack of
  qualification.  :)

-----
·······@wyvern.via.mind.org (Paul Williams)
The Wyvern's Nest (Lawrenceville, GA)