From: Ramesh Vaidhyanathan
Subject: Request for Info. on Intellicorp's KEE(tm)
Hello Netters,

I would like to know about Intellicorp's KEE(tm) expert system shell.
If anyone knows the contact e-mail address for this company, please
e-mail to me. I've heard that KEE(tm) has a good user interface
development environment. I would also like to get comments/suggetions
about KEE(tm) from those who are using it for expert system projects.

Thanks.

-Ramesh Vaidhyanathan

Laboratory for Intelligent Process Systems
School of Chemical Engineering
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN 47907-1283

From: Dattatraya Kulkarni
Subject: Re: Request for Info. on Intellicorp's KEE(tm)
········@ecn.purdue.edu (Ramesh Vaidhyanathan) writes:

>I would like to know about Intellicorp's KEE(tm) expert system shell.
>If anyone knows the contact e-mail address for this company, please
>e-mail to me.

>-Ramesh Vaidhyanathan

I am not too sure. I used to have contacts with Paul Morris
in Intellicorp long back. It could be useful to try to send
a mail to him <<······@intellicorp.com>>

--DH Kulkarni
From: Rajiv Dholakia - SunSoft UE/WST
Try ········@intellicorp.com (a newletter from IntelliCorp for KEE users)
or call Sia Hashemi at 415 965-5500, he's the marketing contact for KEE.

-Rajiv

---
Email :	··············@eng.sun.com	"...take one vice and nurture
	or				    it in your bosom, for a
	...!sun!rajiv.dholakia		    man with no vices is in
					    great danger of making
Site  : SunSoft Inc., MS # MTV 21-04	    vices out of his virtues."
					- Malachi Stack in Thornton
					Wilder's "The Matchmaker"
From: Olli J Saarela
Hi!

True, KEE has nice tools for many kinds of stuff, e.g. user
interface development. I have been involved in two large
projects where KEE has proved to be a nice environment of
trying out different ideas and doing fast prototyping.
But problems started to arise when it was time to make
the production versions for the end users. Creating a
relatively foolproof user interface in KEE was a real
pain.

Also we have had a lot of problems with Intellicorp's
software support. I have sent them code reproducing
several bugs at will, and received polite thanks. But
the fixes have always taken an unforgivably long time
to appear. Especially unforgivable if you consider the
price of the software.

So, if I had to do it all again, I might probably use
KEE as a playing ground. It is a convenient environment
for quickly producing a demonstration program. It is also
a nice production environment if all the end users are
interested for knowledge engineering and can be trained
to use KEE.

After having found that the ideas work, I would choose
another environment for the production version. I would
be looking for something much more standard to obtain:

	- better transportability to different platforms
	- better support (more users, more suppliers)
	- smaller run-time load
	- cheaper delivery version
	- "standard" user-interface (applications should
	  look like other applications, e.g. Motif, Windows,
	  and Mac have their own commonly accepted style
	  guidelines, producing these in KEE is hard)

I believe my current choice would be C++ and some X-based
user interface development tool. What you spend in program
design and original coding, you gain at debugging and
maintenance.

Hope this gives you some ideas for choosing an environment.

Olli