From: John Matthews
Subject: Static C Analyzers
I am interested in writing a "program understanding" program in lisp.
The program would parse C or C++ files and then perform static analysis
operations on the resulting parse tree, such as use-def analysis,
procedure call-graphs, etc.

I would like to avoid writing the "uninteresting" portions of this
program, which for me are the actual C parsing operations that create
the parse tree (or symbol table). Does anyone know of any free or commercial
"static analysis" packages that already parse either C or C++?

You can send replies either to this notes group or to me personally,
I will summarize personal replies.

Thanks,
John Matthews
From: [Invalid-From-Line]
In article <·······@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com> ··@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com (John Matthews) writes:
> I am interested in writing a "program understanding" program in lisp.
> The program would parse C or C++ files and then perform static analysis
> operations on the resulting parse tree, such as use-def analysis,

> the parse tree (or symbol table). Does anyone know of any free or commercial
> "static analysis" packages that already parse either C or C++?

some folk in bellcore used the lint tool i believe, to get a parse tree;
it's now "free" perhaps, but it's available on many UN*X boxen.

peter clitherow, ··@bellcore.com, (201) 829-5162, DQID: H07692
bellcore, 445 south street, room 2f-085, morristown, nj 07962