From: Keith Wilke
Subject: Comercial uses of Lisp

I want to thank all thoes that emailed me this data.

17 entries in the following format:

<From: respondant>
 	1. Name of the program,
 	2. Brief description of program (one sentence or so),
 	3. Company name,
 	4. The dialect being used (i.e. Common Lisp, XLisp, CMU Lisp, XScheme),
 	5. How lisp is used (i.e 100% Lisp, extension language only, ...),
 	6. estimates on how long the program has been in use,

Each entry is seperated by a line of dashes.

From: ···@sq.com (David A Keldsen)

1. Author/Editor,
2. SGML structured editor,
3. SoftQuad, Inc.,
4. Scheme (PSI),
5. extension language;
6. the version with Scheme has been shipping for two years now.

From: ···@wimsey.bc.ca (Ian C. Campbell)

1. CALES in
2. This is Computer Assisted Logic Expert System, a system for designing
   software for Programmable Logic Controllers. The unique thing about CALES
   is that it uses GENERIC knowledge and can design for many different types
   and manufacturer's PLC's from one generic language. We are still using and
   extending this system, and have a goal of doing 85% of all PLC software
   using CALES in 1992. This may be the first (??) application of a
   knowledge-based system which is used to do the daily functions of a
   strategically important function within a corporation. (The real reason
   for the last sentance is to spark any corrections to my claim..ie is it
   incorrect?)
3. The Lamb Group of Companies
4. Lisp
5. ?? % in Lisp
6. since 1985.

From: ···@wimsey.bc.ca (Ian C. Campbell)

1. CAMES,
2. Computer Assisted Mechanical Expert System, to design five
   different types of mechanical machines. In use since 1997, it has
   designed just less than 1000 machines, and is used for between 75% and
   90% of the machines for which it qualifies.
3. The Lamb Group of Companies
4. Lisp
5. ?? % Lisp
6. Since 1987

From: ······························@trout.nosc.mil (Mark Watkins)
········@dsd.es.com

1. CDRS,
2. industrial design cad/cam system,
3. Evans & Sutherland,
4. Common Lisp,
5. 90 % lisp,
6. since 1984ish.

From: Barry Margolin <······················@trout.nosc.mil>

1. Connection Machine models CM1 and CM2 (CM) system software
2. CM microcode and higher level routines.
3. TMC
4. Common Lisp
5. ucode: Lisp is used as a macro language for writing CM ucode, and the
   ucode linker is written in Lisp.
   higher level: most of the primitive CM operations are written in
   Lisp.  A simple, home-grown Lisp-to-C translator (written in Lisp, of
   course) converts this to C, in order to build an equivalent C library.
6. At least seven years.

From: Steve Lusky <·····@vdle21.csc.ti.com> (Steve Lusky   214-917-7441 TI MSGID: SL)
1. DROID
2. Design synthesis system for digital integrated circuits, from a high
   level language to either a gate array or custom-like layout.
See papers:

HY Chen, S Agarwala, S Dutta, D Matzke, P Bosshart, S Lusky, P Kollaritsch, "On
the Subject of Circuit Optimization in DROID", Proc. of IEEE Int'l Conf on
CAD, Nov 90

P Kollaritsch, S Lusky, D Matzke, D Smith, P Stanford, "A Unified Design
Representation Can Work,"  26th IEEE/ACM Design Automation
Conference, Las Vegas, Nev, Jun 89, pp. 811-3

B Kapoor, D Smith, S Lusky, D Matzke, P Bosshart, "Logic Optimization
Using Pattern Recognition," 2nd International Workshop on Logic
Synthesis, NC, May 89

P Kollaritsch, S Lusky, S Prasad, N Potter, "CLAY: A Malleable-Cell
Multi-Cell Transistor Matrix Approach for CMOS LAYout Synthesis," Proc.
of IEEE Int'l Conf on CAD, Nov 88
3. TI
4. Developed on TI Explorer Common Lisp with CLOS
   Delevered on Sun Sparc II Harliquin Lisp
5. fully in CLOS, with ties to UNIX for use of conventional tools.
6. 7 years

From: Keith Wilke

1. Emacs
2. text manimpulation system
3. GNU, ???
4. elisp
5. extension language
6. since 1970's

From: Ian Chisholm <···@datasci.co.uk>

1. Fastplan
2. Finite Capacity Scheduling
3. Data Sciences UK Limited
4. CommonLisp (Macintosh, Sun, AViiON, VAXstation, ...)
5. Application is 100% lisp
6. First (commercial) installation was approximately 2 years ago (Feb'90).

From: ························@trout.nosc.mil

1. G2,
2. Real Time Control System Shell,
3. Gensym,
4. CommonLisp,
5. Major part of system ??%,
6. since at least mid 80's

From: ··································@trout.nosc.mil (Dan Corkill)

1.  GBB (Generic Blackboard Framework)
2.  Language / Environment for building high-performance blackboard applications
3.  Blackboard Technology Group, Inc.
4.  Common Lisp/CLOS (Lucid, Franz Allegro, Mac CL, Procyon CL, Symbolics,
    TI Explorer, ...)
5.  100% Lisp
6.  Commercial program since 1989, UMass GBB research system since 1985.

From: uunet!mcsun!liasun6.epfl.ch!baechler (Emmanuel Baechler)"

1. ICAD,
2. help for routine design of new mechanical pieces and devices
3. Icad Inc. Cambridge MA
4. Symbolics Common Lips and Allegro Common Lisp
5. Extension language, allowing to access Lisp if needed
6. I know That Icad Inc has 500 big clients around the world

From: ·······································@trout.nosc.mil
1. KEE,
2. Intellicorp,
3. expert system shell.
4. Interlisp + Common lisp.
5. ?? % Lisp + ?? % Interlisp
6. Since early 1980's.

From: ························@trout.nosc.mil
From: ·····································@trout.nosc.mil (Steve Taylor)

1. MACSYMA,
2. a program for computer-assisted mathematical manipulation,
3. Symbolics Inc.
4. 100% Lisp,
5. now Common Lisp (Ported, I think),
6. since '70s

From: trout.nosc.mil!dale!ucsd!rutgers!cis.ohio-state.edu!welch

1. NoteCards.
2. Hypertext system for unix machines, used for argumentation, authoring,
   electronic books, etc.
3. Venue.
4. Medley (Interlisp + Common Lisp). NoteCards predates CL, so is mostly
   Interlisp.
5. NoteCards is implemented in Lisp, and uses Lisp as an extension
   language too.
6. I think the first release (research) was in 86. It's been a full-blown
   product since 88, but was under-advertised. Now that hypertext is
   getting a bigger name, it's getting significantly bigger sales.

From: ··································@trout.nosc.mil

1. ParaMacs (based on the MIT Macsyma),
2. computer algebra & symbolic manipulation,
3. Paradigm Associates, Inc.,
4. Several common lisp implementations (vax lisp, allegro
   and lucid common lisps on a number of machines),
5. 3.5MB lisp source code + couple of trivial c-programs,
6. Macsyma used since the early 70's.

From: ·····································@trout.nosc.mil

1. REDUCE (current version is 3.4)
2. Algebra system (i.e. factorise, integrate, groebner bases, algebraic
   number field arithmetic, all that sort of fun)
3. Dr A C Hearn at RAND Santa Monica is owner - there are a number of
   distributors (e.g. me = Codemist Ltd)
4. Uses "Standard Lisp" as defined in a Utah technical report - first
   version was 1969, second revision about 1979.  There are a whole raft
   of Lisp systems that meet this, mainly (but not totally) devoted to
   supporting REDUCE.  Mine is called CSL.  Another (quite independent)
   is PSL.
5. 100% Lisp inside - written in its own language which parses directly
   into Lisp, so most system developers do not see the parens.
6. Has been in use since mid-1960s, distributed since late 1960s, widespread
   use since sometie in the 1970s I guess.

From: Barry Margolin <······················@trout.nosc.mil>

1. ThinkCAD
2. Circuit design and emulation software.  Used to design chips and
   cirtuits, and to generate input files for other VLSI tools (e.g.
   fabrication).
3. Thinking Machines Corporation (TMC)
4. Common Lisp
5. Almost all Lisp, although it calls some Unix commands in order to invoke
   related tools.
6. At least six years.

--

Keith Wilke - ·········@nosc.mil or ...!ucsd!nosc!we!keithw