From: Philip McBride
Subject: Re: LISPVIEW - Graphics User Interface, HELP!
In article <················@ecn.purdue.edu> ········@cn.ecn.purdue.edu writes:
>Hello Netters,
>
>I am thinking of using LISPVIEW for developing a graphics user interface
>for an Expert System I am programming in CLOS. Basically I want to develop
>a "graphics editor" thorugh which the user can specify the objects and the
>connectivities between them graphically and from this the instances of CLOS
>objects have to be created.
>
>I read the LISPVIEW manual which came with the Sun Common Lisp 4.0.1.
>But I felt that the manual does not give enough details for me to decide
>if I will be able to do this task using LISPVIEW or not. Recently I read
>in this group LISPVIEW being available in public domain. Is this LISPVIEW
>an advanced version than that we have here (which came with SCL 4.0.1)?
>(If so please e-mail me the ftp site for this LISPVIEW)

Yes, the LISPVIEW released to the public domain is a more advanced
version.  The LISPVIEW released with SCL 4.0.1 is version 1.0, whereas
the version released to the public is version 1.1.

The public version is available either from export.lcs.mit.edu on
/contrib/lispview1.1 or from xview.ucdavis.edu on /pub/XView/LispView1.1.
I think both require ftp username: ftp.

>Is there any other manual or book which explains developing graphics user
>interfaces using LISPVIEW?

Yes!  There is a complete grapher library as part of the release that
contains source as well as documentation.  It will let you do anything
from simple class graphing to bar charts.  It comes with two example
grapher tools: a class grapher and a window grapher.  It is completely
CLOS based.  For example, changing from a left to right layout to a
top to bottom layout can be done via change-class.

It is located in the util subdirectory of lispview.  I recommend
reading the associated README's and the example code as well as the
manual.

>Any info regarding this is most welcome!
>

>Thanks in advance.
>
>-Ramesh Vaidhyanathan
>
>Laboratory for Intelligent Process Systems
>School of Chemical Engineering
>Purdue University
>West Lafayette, IN 47907-1283

-Philip McBride

As usual, the views are mine, only mine, and no one elses.  Unless I stole
them of course.