From: Denis Girou
Subject: Origins of LISP and relation with Fortran
  Dear friends,

  I want to ask you a confirmation about an history point concerning the
origins of LISP (the section 2-13 of the FAQ doesn't say something about that).

  Some years ago, one of my teacher says during a lesson that when John
McCarthy, around 1956, think to that will become LISP, he only want to write
an extension to the Fortran language (Fortran I or Fortran II at this time)
to manipulate lists structures. It would be only later that he thought to a
real new language, completely independant of Fortran.

  Is there somebody who can confirm or infirm this fact, and can give me a
bibliographic reference? (it's for an article about Fortran that I have to
write...)

  Thanks for answer.

  Best regards,

Denis Girou (C.N.R.S./C.I.R.C.E.)                    |
Batiment 506 - B.P. 167 - 91403 Orsay Cedex - France |
E-mail : ·····@circe.fr - Tel.  : 33. 1. 69.82.41.52 |
From: Agnar Aamodt
Subject: Re: Origins of LISP and relation with Fortran
In article <·······················@circe.fr>, ·····@circe.fr (Denis Girou)
wrote:

>   Some years ago, one of my teacher says during a lesson that when John
> McCarthy, around 1956, think to that will become LISP, he only want to write
> an extension to the Fortran language (Fortran I or Fortran II at this time)
> to manipulate lists structures. It would be only later that he thought to a
> real new language, completely independant of Fortran.
>
>   Is there somebody who can confirm or infirm this fact, and can give me a
> bibliographic reference? (it's for an article about Fortran that I have to
> write...)

The primary need was, I think, for an algebraic list procesing language,
and Fortran was one of the candidates for a start-out platform. Fortran
List Processing Language (FLPL) was developed by other poeple than
McCarthy, who decided to set out for a new language.

A reference:
  McCarthy, J.:
  History of Lisp. ACM SIGPLAN Notices, Vol.13, no.8, August 1978, pp 5-11.

Agnar Aamodt

   Agnar Aamodt  (Ph.D)          |        Email: ·····@ifi.unit.no
   Department of Informatics     |        Fax:   +47-7-591733
   College of Arts and Sciences  |
   University of Trondheim       |        Phone: (office): +47-7-591838
   N-7055 Dragvoll               |        Phone: (secr.):  +47-7-591840
   NORWAY                        |        Phone: (home):   +47-7-977365