From: Dirk Steinberg
Subject: Compiling CMU Lisp 17
I ftp'ed the source code of CMULISP 17 alpha from CMU.
My problem is that I cannot get it to compile. I edited
all the paths in the tools subdirectory and tried do-worldbuild
and compile-all and some other things, but the compilation
aborted shortly after compiling setup.lisp. Also, I cannot
compile the C source code, the missing header file is supposed
to be generated by the compiler genesis. How do I do that?

It appears to me that there might be a windowing X-based
debugger in 17-alpha. Is that correct? That would be great.

Could anyone who knows how to compile and build CMULISP
please send me instructions?

Thanks,
	Dirk
Dirk W. Steinberg                         email: ···@informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Integrated Systems in Signal Processing   snail: Kleikstr. 63, 5120 Herzogenrath
Aachen University of Technology, Germany   Tel.: +49 241 807879/+49 2406 7225(p)
From: Rob MacLachlan
Subject: Re: Compiling CMU Lisp 17
In article <·············@messua> ···@messua.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Dirk Steinberg) writes:
>I ftp'ed the source code of CMULISP 17 alpha from CMU.
>My problem is that I cannot get it to compile.

There could be many things going wrong.  Probably one of them is that you need
a working version 17 Lisp in order to compile version 17.  We haven't released
17 yet, so we don't encourage outside users to work with it.  I'll mail you
some info on building from sources.

>It appears to me that there might be a windowing X-based
>debugger in 17-alpha. Is that correct? That would be great.

Yes, but this is based on a C server linked with the Motif library, so it won't
be usable unless you have Motif.  Perhaps someone on the net would consider
converting this to a PD X toolkit...

  Rob MacLachlan