From: Jeff Sullivan
Subject: Lucid 4, process help
I'm trying to set up a system where several processes are run in the
background, controlling CLIM applications, and are controlled in some
part by a forground processes, which is itself a CLIM application.

Now, the only problem comes when trying to quit from the main process.
I try to issue a KILL-PROCESS to each of the sub-processes, and
sometimes (not all the time, but not reproducably), I get the
following error:

>>Error: Attempting to unlock a lock held by #<Process Summary Window 1DE823E>

(LUCID-COMMON-LISP:METHOD CLIM::STREAM-EVENT-HANDLER (CLIM::CLX-ROOT-WINDOW)):
   Required arg 0 (STREAM): #<CLIM::CLX-ROOT-WINDOW /x 0:1152 y 0:900/ 20D2DDE>
   Keyword arg 1 (TIMEOUT): NIL
   Keyword arg 2 (INPUT-WAIT-TEST): #<Compiled-Function (:INTERNAL CLIM::WITH-INPUT-CONTEXT-1 CLIM::POINTER-MOTION-PENDING) 1DF30DE>
   Keyword arg 3 (ORIGINAL-STREAM): #<CLIM::CLX-WINDOW /x 0:550 y 0:326/ 2749556>
:C  0: Continue or smash lock.
:A  1: Return to Evaluation command level
    2: Evaluation top level
    3: Exit Evaluation
    4: Kill process #<Process Evaluation Window 1DE8006>
    5: Restart process #<Process Evaluation Window 1DE8006>

I can always "Continue or Smash Lock", but the problem is that I'm
dropped into the debigger to do it.  I just want the subprocesses
killed, no questions.

Any ideas how to do this?  I tried wrapping a CATCH around the
top-level ofrms of the subprocesses and issuing an INTERRUPT-PROCESS
THROW to the CATCH, but this didn'twork either.

jas

Jeffrey A. Sullivan             | Research Scientist et al.
···@isi.edu (Internet)          | Information Sciences Institute
72511,402    (Compuserve)       | University of Southern California
From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Lucid 4, process help
In article <·····@venera.isi.edu> ···@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
>I'm trying to set up a system where several processes are run in the
>background, controlling CLIM applications, and are controlled in some
>part by a forground processes, which is itself a CLIM application.
>
>Now, the only problem comes when trying to quit from the main process.
>I try to issue a KILL-PROCESS to each of the sub-processes, and
>sometimes (not all the time, but not reproducably), I get the
>following error:
>
>>>Error: Attempting to unlock a lock held by #<Process Summary Window 1DE823E>

It would help if you included a stack trace, but what is suspect is
happening is that the subprocesses are all trying to close their windows
concurrently, and there's a problem in the locking protocol that's supposed
to prevent contention for the CLX root window.