From: ···@sef1.slisp.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: Lisp-Performance: better on SPARC or DEC ?
    From: ········@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)

    I wonder, if someone got benchmark results for lisp (cmu-lisp
    preferred) comparing the various SPARC- und DECstations (and perhaps
    HP 9000/700).

I think my wizards may have some comparative performance numbers for CMU CL
hidden away, but if you're asking for the obvious reason (deciding what
machine to use), the speed numbers probably don't matter.  CMU Common Lisp
is not yet available for the HP 9000/700.  On the Decstations, it runs only
under Mach or OSF/1, not Ultrix.  So the SPARC implementation is pretty
much the only choice for outside (non-Mach) users at the moment.

-- Scott

Scott E. Fahlman			Internet:  ····@cs.cmu.edu
Senior Research Scientist		Phone:     412 268-2575
School of Computer Science              Fax:       412 681-5739
Carnegie Mellon University		Latitude:  40:26:33 N
5000 Forbes Avenue			Longitude: 79:56:48 W
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
From: Martin Cracauer
···@sef1.slisp.cs.cmu.edu writes:

>    From: ········@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
>
>    I wonder, if someone got benchmark results for lisp (cmu-lisp
>    preferred) comparing the various SPARC- und DECstations (and perhaps
>    HP 9000/700).
>
>I think my wizards may have some comparative performance numbers for CMU CL
>hidden away, but if you're asking for the obvious reason (deciding what
>machine to use), the speed numbers probably don't matter.  CMU Common Lisp
>is not yet available for the HP 9000/700.  On the Decstations, it runs only
>under Mach or OSF/1, not Ultrix.  So the SPARC implementation is pretty
>much the only choice for outside (non-Mach) users at the moment.

All true, but:

If the HP is marked as a machine with excellent price-performance, I
would buy a commercial lisp for it. So I asked 'cmu-cl preferred' (but
not required).

The question on SPARC and MIPS R3000 is: What are the effects of the
better caches of the MIPS (DEC) and the windowed registers of the
SPARCS when using lisp. I cannot get these numbers from dhrystones.

The machine will be used for LISP only, so I could use Mach (as I
know, it is free) or OFS/1 on the DEC machine without missing any
other features of Ultrix. Again, I could buy a commercial lisp.

--
Martin Cracauer,    ········@wavehh.hanse.de