From: Bruce Feist
Subject: Xlisp 2.1 vs. CL (II), CLISP
Hello Espen!

Wednesday December 09 1992 09:11, Espen J. Vestre wrote to All:

 EJV> I'm teaching a (beginner's) course in Common Lisp.  Several of the
 EJV> students use xlisp v. 2.1 at home.

Espen, are you and your students aware of the existence of CLISP?  It's an
almost-complete implementation of Common LISP that comes in an MS-DOS
implementation, requiring at least a 386SX and 2 meg of RAM.  XLISP isn't really
that close to full CL; it's missing things like multiple-value returns and
dynamic scoping.  CLISP has all of these.  It includes compilation as well as
interpretation, and (oddly enough) is a German product.  Also, it's shareware
(free with a recommended 'gift').  Good product.

Bruce
From: Joao Pedro Martins
Subject: Re: Xlisp 2.1 vs. CL (II), CLISP
In article <·················@blkcat.UUCP>, ···········@f615.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Bruce Feist) writes:
|> Hello Espen!
|>
|> Wednesday December 09 1992 09:11, Espen J. Vestre wrote to All:
|>
|>  EJV> I'm teaching a (beginner's) course in Common Lisp.  Several of the
|>  EJV> students use xlisp v. 2.1 at home.
|>
|> Espen, are you and your students aware of the existence of CLISP?  It's an
|> almost-complete implementation of Common LISP that comes in an MS-DOS
|> implementation, requiring at least a 386SX and 2 meg of RAM.  XLISP isn't really
|> that close to full CL; it's missing things like multiple-value returns and
|> dynamic scoping.  CLISP has all of these.  It includes compilation as well as
|> interpretation, and (oddly enough) is a German product.  Also, it's shareware
|> (free with a recommended 'gift').  Good product.

	I have to agree on this... personally I use VAXLISP or AKCL, but
I distributed CLIP to several friends of mine and they immediatly dumped
XLISP, and can now work in a full common Lisp environment.

	By what I have heard, it is really quite good. And if you find a
bug, let them know by mail, it WILL be corrected.

----
 Joao Pedro Martins, Lisboa, Portugal - ····@tutor.inesc.pt

 "cover my face while the animals cry [...],
  cover my face while the animals die !" (The Cure)