From: Doug McNaught
Subject: Problem compiling CLOS/CLX for akcl on DEC 5000 Ultrix 4.2A
Greetings,
  I'm trying to get CLOS and CLX up and running on a DECsystem 5000
under Ultrix 4.2A with akcl. When I use the makefile that comes with
the distribution from parcftp.xerox.com, CLOS compiles and loads OK,
but clx dies with a link error: 'connect_to_server' undefined. This
function is defined in 'socket.c' in the clx distribution. If I go
into the clx directory and do it manually with 'compile-clx', ld
complains that 'socket.c' was not compiled with the "-G 0" option.
But, the 'cc' line that kcl echoes as it compiles 'socket.c' *does*
include "-G 0". I'm not a complete Lisp ignoramus but I'm out of my
depth trying to get this stuff up and running. If anyone out there has
made these systems successfully on a DEC 5000, I'd appreciate some of
your wisdom on the subject (email preferred).
Thanks,
doug
--
Doug McNaught              |"Sadder still to watch it die/ Then never to have
·····@cns.caltech.edu      | known it/ For you, the blind who once could see/