From: ·······@ukpr.uky.edu
Subject: LispView / garbage collection
I'm new to Lisp, LispView, and CLOS.  I have a fairly big graphical object
defined as a class, and when I run my program for too long and make too many
instances of this class, the computer starts doing garbage collections.
Eventually the environment crashes during a collection (dynamic, I think), or
gets stuck in a loop of garbage collection.

Question is how do I stop this problem?  When I'm done with each object, I set
its status to :DESTROYED.  I've tried forcing an ephemeral gc and a dynamic gc
immediately afterwards, but I'm not sure the memory is being reclaimed.  Once
I'm done with my objects, how can I free up the space to keep the environment
from crashing?
From: Tom C. Smith
Subject: Re: LispView / garbage collection
In article <·····················@afterlife.ncsc.mil> ·······@ukpr.uky.edu writes:
>I'm new to Lisp, LispView, and CLOS.  I have a fairly big graphical object
>defined as a class, and when I run my program for too long and make too many
>instances of this class, the computer starts doing garbage collections.
>Eventually the environment crashes during a collection (dynamic, I think), or
>gets stuck in a loop of garbage collection.

I had this same problem with Lucid 4.0.2.  I tracked it to the ephemeral gc.
Turn it off (egc-off) and I think the problem will go away for you too.  I have
Lucid 4.1, but I have not had a chance to see if this bug has been fixed.

BTW: This has nothing to do with LispView or CLOS, since my application uses CLX
and Frobs.

Good luck.