From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Common Lisp is a dpANS in Public Review
My apologies to those of you who are seeing lots of copies of this (both
from me and Kent Pitman).  I wanted to make sure that it reaches all the
people to whom it should be relevant, and there's naturally quite a bit of
overlap.

Common Lisp is now a draft proposed American National Standard (dpANS)
and is in a period of public review that extends until November 23, 1992.
It's -not- an ANSI standard yet, but this is a major milestone in the
standardization process.  A press release from X3 containing further
details, including ordering information, follows at the end of this message.

Although review comments are not required to be in any particular form,
we plan to publish a template which people can voluntarily comply with
if they have comments to make.  Information about that template will be
distributed soon over this same communication channel.

This message is a broadcast distribution to a very large number of
recipients.  PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE FULL RECIPIENT LIST.

====================
Accredited Standards Committee (*)
X3, Information Processing Systems

					Doc No.: 	X3/92-1710-X S
					Date:		July 23, 1992
					Proj. No.:	574-D
					Reply To:	Lynn Barra
							(202) 626-5738
NEWS RELEASE

	  X3 ANNOUNCES THE PUBLIC REVIEW AND COMMENT PERIOD ON
	     X3.226-199X, PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE COMMON LISP

Washington, D.C.--Accredited Standards Committee X3, Information
Processing Systems announces the four-month public review and comment
period on X3.226, 199x, Programming Language Common Lisp.  THE COMMENT
PERIOD EXTENDS FROM JULY 24, 1992 THROUGH NOVEMBER 23, 1992.

The specification set forth in this document is designed to promote the
portability of Common Lisp programs among a variety of data processing
systems.  It is a language specification aimed at an audience of
implementors and knowledgeable programmers.  It is neither a tutorial
nor an implementation guide.

The X3 Secretariat is investigating the possibility of making these
files available in electronic format, on disk as well as on CompuServe.
If you have a need for either or both, please contact Dan Arnold at
(202) 626-5747 (email address from CompuServe "75300,2354" or if from
Internet or another source: ···········@compuserve.com").

THE COMMENT PERIOD ENDS ON NOVEMBER 23, 1992.  Public review comments
must be submitted (to this office and ANSI) in hard copy format.
Please send all comments to:  X3 Secretariat, Attn.: Lynn Barra, 1250
Eye Street NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20005-3922.  Send a copy to:
American National Standards Institute, Attn: BSR Center, 11 West 42nd
St. 13th Floor, New York, NY 10036.

Purchase this standard in hard copy from:

	Global Engineering Documents, Inc.
	2805 McGaw Ave
	Irvine, CA  92714
		1-800-854-7179	(within USA)
		714-261-1455	(outside USA)

 Single Copy Price:	$80.00
 International Price:	$104.00

			   #   #   #   #   #

 (*) Operating under the procedures of
       the American National Standards Institute X3 Secretariat,
   Computer and Business Equipment Manufacturer's Association (CBEMA)
	 1250 Eye Street NW Suite 200 Washington DC 20005-3922
     Telephone: (202) 737-8888 (Press 1 twice)  FAX: (202) 638-4922

From: Clinton Hyde
Subject: Re: Common Lisp is a dpANS in Public Review
this is cool. how about if an electronic copy (which I understand to
be both Tex and DVI versions) gets into an anon-ftp site?

 -- clint
--

Clint Hyde		"Give me a LispM or give me death!" -- anonymous

Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  ·····@chesapeake.ads.com
2111 Wilson Blvd #800
Arlington, VA 22201		(703) 875-0327
From: Chuck Fry
In article <···················@pecos.ads.com> ·····@pecos.ads.com (Clinton Hyde) writes:
>this is cool. how about if an electronic copy (which I understand to
>be both Tex and DVI versions) gets into an anon-ftp site?

I was just thinking that once it becomes a standard, it should be
available on CD-ROM, preferably with a KWIC index and a (reasonably)
portable accessor program written in CL, and tied to the DOCUMENTATION
mechanism already in the language!  Any takers?

 -- Chuck Fry  ······@charon.arc.nasa.gov
    Chair, Lisp Users and Vendors '93 conference
From: Clinton Hyde
I don't know about the CD-ROM part, but the rest of the idea sounds
good.

if one were to do the CD-ROM part, it should probably include beaucoup
other ANSI std dox also, for many other prog languages (none of which
are even half as cool as Lisp, but there are masochists who use them
anyway).

what would be WAY cool is if there were a gnu-emacs texinfo file of
CLtL2, the ANSI std version, etc.

 -- clint

From: John R. Levine
>if one were to [put copies of the Lisp standard on CD-ROM], it should
>probably include beaucoup other ANSI std dox also, for many other prog
>languages ...

ANSI gets most of their revenue from selling their copyrighted standards
documents, which cost about $50 each.  So a CD-ROM with copies of 25
standards would have to cost about $1000 to give them similar revenue.

Everyone agrees that particularly for computer standards it would be
really nice to make them available via FTP, CD-ROM, etc.  But so far
nobody has come up with a plausible way to make up for the lost revenue
that ANSI needs to stay in business.  An advantage of the current system
is that standards are paid for by people who actually use them.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
·····@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {ima|spdcc|world}!iecc!johnl